ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Could anyone provide me with a step by step guide to creating a 360 degree pan around a basic text layer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stuart kinoCould anyone provide me with a step by step guide to creating a 360 degree pan around a basic text layer?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 6:10:39 pm

I've been trying all day to move the camera around some basic text (with the text itself remaining stationary) but all i seem to be able to achieve is getting the text to spin or similar.
Ideally i would like the camera to move 360 degrees around the text, while keeping the text in view at all times. It doesnt matter that the text will appear flat.

I really am a new comer to AE so an idiots guide would be muchly appreciated! Ive looked for tutorials etc on the net but i always just end up with the spinning text!!!
I hope ive explained all that in some sort of understandable fashion!

Any help would be grately recieved.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Could anyone provide me with a step by step guide to creating a 360 degree pan around a basic text layer?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:09:43 pm

The only reason you would need a 360-degree camera move around a text layer is this: you have other layers involved in the shot that would become visible during the camera move, or you have have a 360-degree BACKGROUND, where you can see things changing behind the text.

Otherwise, there is absolutely no visual difference between moving the camera or rotating the layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

stuart kinoRe: Could anyone provide me with a step by step guide to creating a 360 degree pan around a basic text layer?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:32:59 pm

Ah I see ( think!)
Well ill try and describe what im trying to achieve....

I would like to have some 2-d text in front of a still background and then have the camera move smoothly around the text to reveal there is "space" between the text and the background. It doesnt have to be a 360 degree rotation by the way, just a smooth rotation around the text.

I apologize for my crude description...im teaching myself AE from scratch.

Thanks again for you help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Could anyone provide me with a step by step guide to creating a 360 degree pan around a basic text layer?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 10:01:46 pm

[stuart kino] "I would like to have some 2-d text in front of a still background and then have the camera move smoothly around the text to reveal there is "space" between the text and the background."

Time for thinking again, I fear. How big do you intend this background to be if you move the camera? I think you need to build a physical model -- it doesn't have to be elaborate -- and look at what you propose to do with real camera. And note how big the background would have to be.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Could anyone provide me with a step by step guide to creating a 360 degree pan around a basic text layer?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:04:38 pm

to get a feel for how this might work in ae, create a new solid and add the grid effect.

make that solid 3d (click the 3d checkbox for that layer in the timeline) and set the z-position value to something like 1000.

create a text layer and make it any color other than the grid color. leave that layer 2d, this is an easy way to keep it facing the camera at all times. you could also make it 3d and then use the auto-orient properties to make it face the camera. then you could have 3d layers that come between the text and the camera, but for this example, that's not necessary.

add a camera (layer>new>camera) and use the camera orbit tool to rotate the camera around to see how this works.

the first thing you'll notice is that, if your background needs to fill the frame at all times, it will need to be quite large, or be comprised of many pieces.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Wes KnippersRe: Could anyone provide me with a step by step guide to creating a 360 degree pan around a basic text layer?
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 9:21:58 pm

to simply rotate the camera around text, another option is creating a "null object". At the top select New>Null Object

Place the null object in the center of your text, then "parent" your camera you've created to your "null object" making sure the camera is pointed and placed in the position/direction you want.

Then, set your rotation keyframes on your null object and the camera should turn with it since it is parented to it. Making it "orbit" the text...

-Wes Knippers
Wes@WesVFX.com
WesVFX.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]