ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animation + cause interlace issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurie Turner
Animation + cause interlace issue
on Nov 4, 2009 at 8:01:54 pm

I have CS4, MacPro, and latest QT

I have filmed a talent, green screen DVCPro HD 60i.

I put the clip in AE and used keylight. The chroma keying is set so she looks perfect. Playback look great. It is then sent to Render queue, Animation + million color. Preserve RGB. When the QT is played my talent looks like it needs to be deinterlaced.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

cow
Dave LaRonde
Re: Animation + cause interlace issue
on Nov 4, 2009 at 8:06:54 pm

In the Render Settings in the AE Render Queue, did you remember to set the interlacing to Upper Field First?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 4, 2009 at 8:39:58 pm

or, if you wanted to render progressive, in the interpret footage settings (select footage in project window, the choose file>interpret footage>main) you should set the option for 'preserve edges'. then render with field render off (which is normally the default in the render settigns).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Laurie Turner
on Nov 5, 2009 at 3:53:58 pm

Thank you, but still no luck. I tried both ways and both ways together. Still has the interlace issue. I thought maybe it had to do with my keylight settings, but i don't think so because her lips when she talks looks interlaced too.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 5, 2009 at 6:41:54 pm

are you playing the rendered file in ae, or in another piece of software? if it's in another piece of software, try importing back into ae and see if you have the same problem. if it is in ae, make sure that ae is interpreting the footage correctly, particularly the field options.

also, what are your render settings and output module settings (from the render queue).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Laurie Turner
on Nov 5, 2009 at 9:03:48 pm

Funny, when play it just as a QT mov on it's own I see the interlace. I put the mov file in Final Cut Pro and the interlace is gone. I guess that means I am alset.

render setting is Animation + Millon, MOV

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 6, 2009 at 5:26:04 pm

[Laurie Turner] "Funny, when play it just as a QT mov on it's own I see the interlace. I put the mov file in Final Cut Pro and the interlace is gone"

It's still there, it's just that FCP knows how to deal with interlacing, and QT doesn't. Don't ever rely on QT to judge picture quality. Or for accurate frame rate information.

[Laurie Turner] "render setting is Animation + Millon, MOV "

I don't understand why FCP folks insist on using alpha channeled chroma key shots when you can do the entire shot -- foreground AND background -- in AE.

Considering this: in AE you can color correct to match foreground & background. You can generate light wrap to make the subject look like it's actually part of the shot. You can fake shadows and highlights to further sell the shot. Basically, the shot will look better in the end.

I suppose if you're after that "weatherman doing the forecast" kind of look to your chroma keys, then it doesn't matter....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Laurie Turner
on Nov 6, 2009 at 6:20:07 pm

oh no Dave, I wasn't using FCP to composite. Just to test to see if my mov output looked interlace in FCP. We are actually going to use the alpha in Flash to go over a webpage. I never use FCP for composite. that's what AE is for

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 6, 2009 at 6:27:32 pm

[Laurie Turner] "...We are actually going to use the alpha in Flash to go over a webpage. I never use FCP for composite."

Ah, good news indeed. And now that we know how you're actually using the footage -- on the web -- you may want to consider using Compressor to change it to frames instead of fields. Fields are bad on the web.

Next time you shoot chroma keys for the web, save yourself some grief: don't shoot interlaced. Shoot progressive. If that means shooting at 720 rather than 1080, so be it. You'll be a LOT happier in the end.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Paul McDonald
on Nov 10, 2009 at 10:47:21 pm

I'm getting EXACTLY the problem described in the original post. All the variables are the same. A few of us at work have had a look at all my settings and I'm not so sure its just operator error.

In AE CS4 I bring in my source footage (16x9 Uncompressed 10bit progressive material), interpret it correctly, do my keying using Keylight 1.1, and render out using my standard uncompressed export module. In this case I wanted to render out the keyed material as both RGB plate on black and separate greyscale transparency matte. The material looks fine in my comp, well as fine as my keys usually look! - no fields and clean key edges. When I hit render it renders out at half resolution. The edges go to pieces bigtime. I also tried the Animation+ option with identical results. The render looks this way when I bring it into FCP and interpret it correctly.

I don't get this issue if I have a solid behind my keyed footage. If I reduce the opacity of that solid it comes back. I also tried to cheat it by remapping the key to the RGB channels, adding a black solid behind the now greyscale key and rendering that out as a lumakey but no luck - the quality drops on render.

I've triple checked all my output settings. Quality is best, resolution full and field render off. We're at a loss to understand what it causing it. We only recently upgraded to CS4 and did not have any issues with prior versions. I think Keylight is somehow causing or related to the issue - I rendered out 32bit material the other day with no issue. Love to hear other peoples take on the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]