ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Marco Solorio workflow question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony SarafoskiMarco Solorio workflow question
by on Nov 2, 2009 at 11:26:20 pm

Needs some help with Marco Solorio workflow -http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/interlacing-progressive-footage

If I want to conform this 30P to PAL DVD, do I:

1: Conform the 30P to 25P?

2: The turn the 25P to 50P

3: Render out a 50i PAL DV file.

If I'm on the right track, how do I turn the 30P to 25P in After Effects?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Marco Solorio workflow question
by on Nov 3, 2009 at 4:45:30 pm

[Tony Sarafoski] "1: Conform the 30P to 25P?"

how are you conforming the footage? if you are using the interpret footage settings and conforming 30p to 25p, then the footage will be slower than the original footage. if you are fine with that, great. if not, then you'll want to try a different method.

a fairly easy way would be to drop the 30p footage into a pal standard comp. choose layer>transform>fit comp width (or height). then choose layer>frame blending>pixel motion. ae can do a reasonable job of getting smooth motion this way.

you can then render straight to an interlaced file (50i) by enabling field rendering in the render settings -- marco had an extra step of rendering the 50p file, then importing and rendering the interlaced file, but that's unnecessary, unless you also want a 50p file.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tony SarafoskiRe: Marco Solorio workflow question
by on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:25:54 pm

Kevin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that up. I'll try your last method and get back to you.

I actually gave Marco Solorio workflow a go, what I did was the following.

1: Conformed a 30P clip to 25P using Cinema Tools.
2: Then created a 30P comp dropped the 25P clip in it and added time stretch of 200% & set frame blending mode to pixel motion.
3: I then imported the 50P clip in AF and set the frame rate to 25
4: Created a PAL 16x9 DV comp and dropped in the 50P clip.
5: Rendered back out to 16:9 PAL DV and that was it.

This 1x 30sec clip took approximately 3 hours from start to finish, way to long.... Also when I played the clip back on my plasma tv, it had a very slight blur on horizontal pans.

I've been testing this as I'm looking into buying a Canon 5D Mark II for my corporate production. Even though I'd be shooting in HD, I need to get the productions back onto a PAL 16:9 DVD. The 30P from the 5D Mark II is proving to be more of a headache then a plus.

I think I should just get a 7D that shoots 25P native. This way I can transfer the 25P to a 16:9 25P, PAL DVD and eliminate this process.

Any other suggestions..?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Marco Solorio workflow question
by on Nov 3, 2009 at 9:48:52 pm

[Tony Sarafoski] "I think I should just get a 7D that shoots 25P native. This way I can transfer the 25P to a 16:9 25P, PAL DVD and eliminate this process."

i would agree. the less you have to use interpolation the better. not only does it involve a rather tedious workflow, but, as you found out, it changes the look of the footage. interpolated frames are never as clean as the original frames.

since it sounds like you are only working in pal 25p, i would definitely find a camera that can shoot that natively.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]