ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE format restrictions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Pulleyn
AE format restrictions
on Oct 21, 2009 at 3:12:07 pm

Hi All
I'm doing long wall edit, like wallpaper with a file of 4000x600px which will later be split and projected by in 800x600px chunks by 5 projectors (not my problem thankfully!)

Questions:
- when rendered I have a pink band on the right side covering say the last 400px. Is this file size limitation? It IS a strange format after all!
I saw some other posts but nothing conclusive about file max sizes :oS

- Render times being notoriously what they are, I have reduced all my imports from MOV to WMVs and rendered out all sub-comps into wmvs too. (NB for this wall projection i can afford the quality loss)
I still get crashing and hanging. I have alocated scratch discs (about 1TB discs allocated)
I have to save, reboot, open, render and hope it doesn't crash 3/4 way through.
Any Ideas on improving stability?

Thanks for any tips you have guys
Chris

Running PC, AE-CS3 XPpro 2GB ram etc

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE format restrictions
on Oct 21, 2009 at 5:26:21 pm

[Chris Pulleyn] "I'm doing long wall edit, like wallpaper with a file of 4000x600px which will later be split and projected by in 800x600px chunks by 5 projectors (not my problem thankfully!) "

Um, it very well might be your problem.

For a multiple-projector project like this, the people setting up the projectors may want some feathered overlap... which would affect how you put your comps together. I strongly recommend that you ask about this on the Live & Stage Events forum before committing to doing it as you propose. Get some guidance from the pros:

http://forums.creativecow.net/livestageevents

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Chris Pulleyn] "- Render times being notoriously what they are, I have reduced all my imports from MOV to WMVs and rendered out all sub-comps into wmvs too. (NB for this wall projection i can afford the quality loss)"

Bad idea. It actually takes LONGER to decompress a WMV than a quicktime... of course, it all depends on the codec used to encode the QT's... and HDV video is sheer death.

<[Chris Pulleyn] "I still get crashing and hanging. I have alocated scratch discs (about 1TB discs allocated) "

If you have any layers loaded up with effects and moves, you can always PRERENDER, thus reducing the demands on AE. This may have been what you were thinking when you did the conversion to WMV, a God-Awful media container, in my estimation.

[Chris Pulleyn] "Any Ideas on improving stability? "

You can tell AE to do a Purge All every X number of frames, which can help a lot. You'll find the command in the secret preferences. Go look up Secret Preferences in AE Help.

And as always, if you're using Open GL when rendering, don't. The guys at Adobe don't use Open GL when rendering, which should tell you a lot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]