ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects 7 crashes - uninstall?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel KotlowitzAfter Effects 7 crashes - uninstall?
by on Oct 20, 2009 at 1:15:26 am

Since uploading snow leopard onto my computer my After Effects version 7 (which worked perfectly before uploading SL) crashes every time I do anything within the program. I can add in layers, but I can't animate, turn anything 3D, or add lights without it crashing. I already trashed the preferences, verified disk, repaired disk, and none of those worked. I have determined that I need to completely uninstall the program and then reinstall it... but that leads me to my question. How do I completely uninstall the program and get all the associated files? My better judgment tells me that there has to be more to it than just deleting the application?

Does anyone know how to do a complete uninstall, will I be able to reinstall the program, and is there maybe another option I've missed? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects 7 crashes - uninstall?
by on Oct 20, 2009 at 6:55:20 pm

I think your sort of tippy-toeing around the root of the problem, namely this:

How do you expect Adobe to write application software that will work flawlessly on an operating system that was released three years AFTER the application?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joel KotlowitzRe: After Effects 7 crashes - uninstall?
by on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:48:51 am

Every other OS system they have released since I purchased this program has been entirely compatible with it.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After Effects 7 crashes - uninstall?
by on Oct 21, 2009 at 6:10:49 pm

ae7 has only powerpc code, and as such, when running on an intel mac, it has to run under rosetta (apple's powerpc emulator that allows legacy powerpc software to run on intel macs).

it's very possible that snow leopard doesn't include or work with rosetta, which ae7 needs to run on our machine.

upgrading to a later version of ae (cs3-4) will give you an intel native version of ae (and multi-processing) and ae will work better and faster than ae7... and, as a guy who was forced to work with ae7 on a macpro for a year, i would highly suggest upgrading to an intel native version of ae, you won't regret it (though you may want to buy more ram too -- cs3-4 can use up to 4gb of ram per processing core when multiprocessing is enabled).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved