ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE 6.5.1 Crashes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Beryl StajichAE 6.5.1 Crashes
by on Oct 19, 2009 at 1:03:44 am

Trouble w/crashing when using the "new composition" function. I get a crash whenever trying to add a new composition, both to a new project and an existing one.

I am running a PC w/an intel 3.4 processor, 1gb of ram, a matrox millineum 750 graphaics card, soundblaster card, and matrox capture card. All of my other Adobe programs work fine (premier pro, etc.)
This problem just stated last week to an otherwise stable program ans system. I have updated all my drivers.

What gives w/AE. Need help fast!

The only new news to the system is I downloaded a couple of plug-ins from Creative Cow (Glass Globe) and updated my McAfee anti-virus softwear, which necessitated resetting my XP preferences.

Beryl Stajich
bstajich@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE 6.5.1 Crashes
by on Oct 19, 2009 at 3:16:58 pm

[Beryl Stajich] "...I am running a PC w/an intel 3.4 processor, 1gb of ram, a matrox millineum 750 graphaics card, soundblaster card, and matrox capture card. All of my other Adobe programs work fine (premier pro, etc.)..."

Some more RAM is an obvious place to start.

You may find this a bit incredible, but you barely have enough RAM to run both the operating system and AE, which can be a real memory hog if you make comps of even moderate complexity. If you keep other applications open, it gets worse.

I'd max out the RAM, which in your case is 4GB.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Beryl StajichRe: AE 6.5.1 Crashes
by on Oct 19, 2009 at 10:02:22 pm

Dave--
Thanks for the ram tip. I'm about to build a new machine to handle HD, and will max out as much ram as I can aford.

Right now I'm just trying to learn the basics of AE on my present system before I do all the upgrading including going to CS4 and all of that. My AE 6.5 program was working fine for the last 6 months with just 1gb of ram, then last week it quit. I can do things in current comps, but can't start any new comps or projects.

Seems like this is more than just a ram problem. Are you saying that if I add more ram, the problem will go away?

Beryl Stajich
bstajich@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE 6.5.1 Crashes
by on Oct 19, 2009 at 10:16:30 pm

[Beryl Stajich] "Seems like this is more than just a ram problem. Are you saying that if I add more ram, the problem will go away? "

Hmmm.... considering this:

"The only new news to the system is I downloaded a couple of plug-ins from Creative Cow (Glass Globe) and updated my McAfee anti-virus softwear, which necessitated resetting my XP preferences."

....perhaps not. I'm a Mac guy at heart, I'm not the world's best Windows guy, but it certainly sounds like that McAffee update might have had something to do with it. Any way to go over those preferences to see what changed?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Beryl StajichRe: AE 6.5.1 Crashes
by on Oct 19, 2009 at 10:23:55 pm

Dave
OK, sounds like the witch hunt is on. Thanks for the direction.

Beryl Stajich
bstajich@comcast.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]