ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

creating a ring

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Weavercreating a ring
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:47:46 pm

What would be the best way to create a simple ring in AE? At the moment, I'm using a circular shape layer with a mask in the middle of it, but I'm having a hard time getting the two to line up perfectly - ideally, I'd like to expand the mask from the centre of the shape layer, but ctrl, shift, alt doesn't seem to work - I'm using a macbook pro, and unfortunately don't know Illustrator or photoshop to help with these things...

Return to posts index

Xinlai NiRe: creating a ring
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:58:07 pm

Andrew Kramer has this wonderful tutorial where he created a pseudo-3D ring with specular highlight and shadows

Xinlai Ni
Software Engineer, Google Inc.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: creating a ring
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 5:24:30 am

What about the Circle effect?

Or you could have a single circle in a shape layer with a broad stroke and no fill.

Or you could have a complex shape consisting of two concentric circles, using the Merge Paths operation set to Subtract.

There are many ways to create a simple ring, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Neil WeaverRe: creating a ring
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 2:06:12 pm

Good grief... As easy as that. Perfect, Todd thanks.

I didn't want anything complex like Andrew Kramer's tutorial - it's just going to be a magnifying lens.

Sometimes it's the simplest things...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved