ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

best output settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dewan edwardsbest output settings
by on Oct 9, 2009 at 2:24:40 am

Hi all I have a 20 sec bumper I am trying to export out. I have tried QT Movie RGB Alpha with DV codec and with animation codec. The DV codec didn't look as crisp as the animation but the animation didn't play smoothly. Also did the Avid dv codec as I will be importing into Avid. Still didn't play nicely. I am wondering what are some of the export settings the pros are using?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: best output settings
by on Oct 9, 2009 at 2:52:43 am

If you're importing the result into an editing system, you should use lossless compression, so the DV codec is a bad idea. You don't need to worry about smoothness of playback, since you're not playing this back in real time---you're importing it into another application for further work.

I don't know what specifically to recommend for an Avid system, since I don't use one.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: best output settings
by on Oct 9, 2009 at 2:55:29 am

DV will never look as good as Animation since Animation is a lossless codec and DV is not ... if you want DV for some reason, you might at least try DV50 instead of DV25.

As far as any of them playing smoothly, very few computers can play uncompressed video smoothly in the QuickTime player (or any other player) ... bring it into your NLE and play it to a broadcast monitor and you'll see that it's actually fine.

By the way, if you want to avoid having to re-render it in your NLE, you might render it out of AE using the same exact codec you're using for the video it'll go with in your NLE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved