ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

advice on exporting to flash files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson Mayadvice on exporting to flash files
by on Oct 8, 2009 at 8:12:31 pm

I just got my whole world rearranged. I am using AE CS3 to produce animations for those TVs you watch in waiting rooms. They are hooked up to a computer and programmed via the internet.

Anyway, they want flash and .swf files. I didn't think shockwave was still used. Anyway, what is the best way to export to a flash file? I don't have the time to learn flash. Can I take the exported flash or .swf file and load it directly to the computer that programs the TV, or are there other steps I have to consider?

Cheers.

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: advice on exporting to flash files
by on Oct 8, 2009 at 11:30:45 pm

This thread (and others you can find by searching) might be helpful:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/953910#953986

You don't need to learn Flash to generate FLVs or SWFs. Also note that FLVs are much better than SWFs for actual video and video graphics (vs. web graphics).

A few other things I'll add to what's mentioned in the thread above ...

On2 Technologies Flix Exporter generates FLVs directly from AE with better quality and more controls than AE's built-in FLV exporter. However, if you a have CS3 or higher Adobe suite, you should have Adobe Flash Video Encoder, which encodes very nice FLVs too. So, it boils down to your particular needs. If you typically export full rez from AE for non-web delivery anyway, then using Adobe's FLV Encoder isn't adding a step. But, if you only need web files, Flix saves a step by rendering good-quality FLVs directly from AE.

Nelson May - "Can I take the exported flash or .swf file and load it directly to the computer that programs the TV, or are there other steps I have to consider?"

I don't understand that part since it seems whether you can load FLVs or SWFs to the computer/software that programs the playback depends on that software's requirements, which only you can know. But, maybe this will help ... most computers can't play FLVs that haven't been embedded into a web page or SWFs without a web browser add-on unless they have standalone players for those formats. But, there are free players available for both ... "Adobe Media Player" and "Applian FLV Player" for FLVs and "GlobFX Technologies Swiff Player" or "Eolsoft Flash Movie Player" for SWFs. Each has pros and cons ... i.e., Adobe's FLV player is more consumer focused so it has a better interface/viewer, but Applian's FLV player lets you see the metadata, etc. too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]