ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Noob alpha matte/mask question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry FochaNoob alpha matte/mask question
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 1:21:45 am

First off, sorry about this.

I am very new and baffled. I am a 3d artist with an anim of rising smoke and I would like to have it fade as it rises. My sequence are png's and I haven't exactly found out the very basic of basics looking thru the threads. Photoshop doesn't want keep the proper alpha if i use a mask and of course, I have to do it to every frame. Trying to enter the modern age.

Also, having difficulties creating a proper loop. I have 3 sequences; 0-20, 20-40, 40-60, first opacity goes from 0-100% opacity, 40-60 goes from 100-0%. Works on a lot of anims but not rising smoke.

Appreciate any help and patience.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Noob alpha matte/mask question
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:18:50 pm

If the smoke in your image sequence is on an alpha channel, try this: animate a mask with a LOT of feather on it to fade out as the smoke rises. That's probably the easiest way.

As far as a loop goes, 60 frames isn't anywhere near enough to do a convincing loop of smoke rising. The stuff's just too darned random by its nature, so you need a lot more. If you say, "well, I have to do it in 60 frames, I have no other choice", then my reply is this: you will be creating something that absolutely screams, "THIS IS A LOOP"!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved