ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Layers question from a newbie...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ray booneLayers question from a newbie...
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 1:40:45 am

So...

I am brand new to After Effects. Unfortunately, my company is running 6.0, and they won't upgrade. My question is this:

I'm trying to learn how to make the "3D Effect" with still photos. I know how to cut out the subject, clone the background, and save the background with layers intact. But when I try importing the file into After Effects, I get lost. It seems to want to merge all the layers together, which will negate the entire purpose for me.

Any tips? Will 6.0 even allow this? Is there a workaround? Hope you guys can help.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Layers question from a newbie...
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 2:43:38 am

You didn't say whether the file that you're importing is a Photoshop (PSD) file, so I'm going to assume that it is.

You need to import the file as a composition.

To import a still image file as a composition, do this:
1 Choose File > Import File.
2 Choose one of the following from the Import As pop-up menu:
• Composition - Cropped Layers
• Composition

There are quite a few things that can prevent importing as a composition. I can't remember what all of the limitations were for 6.0, but I do remember that using CMYK or other non-RGB color models in Photoshop was one of them.

Actually, this feature set hasn't changed so much since After Effects 6.0 that reading this page and this page would be a bad idea. The second of those has a link to a script from Paul Tuersley that makes importing a PSD file as a 3D scene much easier. (I don't know whether it works in After Effects 6.0.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

ray booneRe: Layers question from a newbie...
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 2:57:09 am

Yes, I was trying a PSD file. Thanks. On another note, will a PDN (Paint.net) file work?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Layers question from a newbie...
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:03:33 am

> will a PDN (Paint.net) file work?

Never heard of it.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]