ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rotating box of text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David YowellRotating box of text
by on Sep 27, 2009 at 2:30:26 pm

I have searched this forum and have not been able to find an answer to my problem. I have four sets of text on a project. I want to make it look like these sets of text are turning on a square so that only the text facing the viewer is seen. In other words, there is a line of text that the viewer sees. Then it rotates 90 degrees to the left and out of view as a new line of text rotates from the right into view. It would appear that the text is on an invisible square block that is rotating to the left. This would occur four times so that all of the text is eventually viewed.

When I set this up, as the first set of text rotates to the left, the second set of text comes into view just fine, but the first couple of letters are crossing the last couple of letters from the first set of text. I hope this isn't too confusing, but I'm not sure how to say it any clearer.

If anyone has any ideas on how to do this, I would appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Rotating box of text
by on Oct 4, 2009 at 1:53:52 am

You didn't find an answer to your problem because you actually don't have a problem ... what's happening is exactly what should happen, but it sounds like it's not what you thought it would be ... imagine an invisible box of text spinning directly in front of you in real life ... because the box is invisible and the text is rotating on it in 3D space, the outgoing text is naturally visible in it's backwards state through the empty space surrounding the front text.

You could slightly lessen the impact of that by tilting the box up so the perspective of the front text is not straight on and the back text is tilted down and a little further off in distance. If you decide to go that route, you might add some blur to the back text.

You could also make 4 instances of the comp, alternately mask out 3 of the words in each one and put them together in another comp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved