ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

DV footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert CrosbyDV footage
by on Sep 21, 2009 at 6:07:48 pm

Hey guys, we just shot our film on a Canon XL2 at 24p on 16:9. I edited my entire sequence in Final Cut Pro 7. I wanted to add some titles, which I made in After Effects, to the sequence. I set my comp settings in after effects to 720x480 at 29.97 fps, since I was told the XL2 can't actually capture 24p, but only represent it. To make it easy on myself, I brought a clip into After Effects, from my Final Cut Pro sequence, and used these settings, only changing it to 29.97 fps. The preset is NTSC DV Widescreen and the pixel aspect ratio is D1/DV NTSC Widescreen (1.21). When I export the titles from After Effects and bring it into Final Cut, it looks all pixelated, and still does when I export it out of Final Cut Pro. What setting do I export from the render queue out of after effects to work with this DV footage?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: DV footage
by on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:02:34 pm

What are you using to view the final effect: video monitors, the only true way to know the quality of ANY FCP video, or just those little pea-shooter viewers contained in FCP?

The least you can do is make sure the viewers are set to 100%.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde...And By The Way...
by on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:05:14 pm

...since you're shooting DV -- and there's nothing wrong with that unless you intend to do heavy effects work -- and you propose to shoot 24p, I suggest VERY STRONGLY that you google the term, "3:2 Pulldown". I think you'll find it enlightening.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Robert CrosbyRe: ...And By The Way...
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 3:35:56 am

Thanks for the advice dave! I did try to mess around with the 3:2 pulldown in the render section of After Effects. I am really new to After Effects, so I just noticed that my output file was an animation file and not a DV NTSC file like I wanted. So that's why it looked pixelated in the FCP sequence. However, if I created a new sequence in FCP to match those settings, then it looks perfect, BUT the DV footage is now interlaced REALLY BAD. If I try and render the title in After Effects with a compression to DV/DVCPRO NTSC, then even the actual quicktime file looks terrible, compared to the animation file. Is this just the way things go? Am I supposed to use the animation file and make my sequence match that? I'm really lost, so any help would be appreciated. This project is due in a few days, so if worse comes to worse, I'll just use the crappy FCP titles, but I would like to have better ones.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: ...And By The Way...
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 3:09:57 pm

Tell you what: put the Animation-codec files in a duplicated FCP DV edit timeline. You'll need to render... so render. Then put the timeline on SOMETHING that will allow you to watdh on a TV set.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]