ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cube in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete DavisCube in After Effects
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 5:31:59 pm

Hi, I am looking to make a cube in Illustrator or photoshop, bring the cube into AE and rotate it so I can see all 6 sides. Is making the cube in AI the best way to do this? Right now when I import the cube/AI file into AE it is flat. I know I am missing something just not sure what. I am trying to make a cube, have the cube rotate clockwise and place text wrapped around the cube going in the opposite direction.

Thank you,
Pete

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Cube in After Effects
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 6:56:44 pm

[Pete Davis] "Is making the cube in AI the best way to do this?"

It depends on what you're doing. Are you going to move the camera extremely close to this cube? Do you have Illustrations or fillagree work on the cube faces? Illustrator's the way to go.

Otherwise, make some, nice square-pixel square solids in AE if the faces are basically featureless.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Pete Davis] "...when I import the cube/AI file into AE it is flat...."

That's because you have to move the layers in 3D space to actually build a cube. Once assembled, I'd put a 3D null object in the exact center of the cube, and animate the null's rotation, position, scale, etc. The cube faces will follow right along.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Pete Davis] "I am trying to make a cube, have the cube rotate clockwise and place text wrapped around the cube going in the opposite direction. "

Yow, that's going to be tricky. Where's the text coming from?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Cube in After Effects
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 8:14:26 pm

Several people have made scripts and projects that create or include 3D cubes from 3D layers.

Community Help search for 'cube scripts'

Community Help search for 'cube projects'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Pete DavisRe: Cube in After Effects
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 1:20:35 pm

Thanks Dave and Todd! I have decided to just create the cube in Boris/Avid FX a lot easier and by far fewer steps. I am creating the text in AE CS4 with help from the text preset
'3d text on a circle'
Thanks again!

Pete

Return to posts index

Jon GeddesRe: Cube in After Effects
by on Sep 21, 2009 at 3:09:21 pm

I created a cube for our Texture Pack promo video seen here:

http://www.precomposed.com/products/texture_packs/

You will see the cube at 26 seconds into the video. You will notice I "slid" a texture onto the cube and spun it around, creating an interesting effect. This was done simply by using 4 surfaces, aligned in 3D space in AE, then parenting them to a null object (which was centered in the cube) for placement and rotation. The surfaces were precomps, and inside the precomps is where I slid the texture on.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]