ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

where is my plugin?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Baldauf
where is my plugin?
on Sep 16, 2009 at 10:12:50 am

hi,

i got some new effect plugins which i put into a new folder in the effects folder (plugins/effects) of AE. but when i start AE the effects do not show up in the effects list. no folder, no effects.

the plugins are ok, they work fine on a friend's machine.

what is my problem? any suggestions?
THX!

Danny

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
Re: where is my plugin?
on Sep 16, 2009 at 1:32:32 pm

Your description indicates 2 possible issues ...

By "got some new effect plugins ... they work fine on a friend's machine", do you mean you purchased them for use on your machine and, therefore, have the installation and licensing info necessary to use the plugins ... or that you just copied them from your friend's machine?

By "put into a new folder in the effects folder", do you mean you installed them on your machine by following the unique installation instructions that come with any software ... or that you just copied the files into a folder without actually installing them?

Return to posts index

Danny Baldauf
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:26:20 pm

the plugins were written by my friend himself, i don't need to purchase them. i just put the .plugin files into the AE effects folder. but AE ignores them obviously...

Danny

http://www.worfy.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:58:11 pm

Then I owe you an apology. Sorry for accusing you of something that was entirely untrue.

How did your pal get the plugins into his own machine? How did he get them to work? I'd follow the exact same procedure.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:02:44 pm

In that case, are you sure you put them in the right folder and did you restart AE after you put them there? The best way to answer the first part of the question is to copy and paste the full folder path you put them in into this post so one of us can try to verify ... whether I can will depend which version of AE you're using and on what O/S.

And, I guess I should've taken Dave's bet! lol Forgive our assumptions ... anyone who has posted here a long time has seen very many similar questions from people trying to find a way to use third-party plugins for free.

Return to posts index

Danny Baldauf
on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:25:26 pm

ok i understand that you have doubts, there are plenty of folks out there with illegal stuff. but not me.

so, i put the files into the same folder, but they simply not show up... (programs/ae/plugins/effects)

is there another folder i could try?

thx. danny

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:33:32 pm

Okay, here's a real basic question: have you quit & restarted the application? How about shutting down your machine and starting it up again? I'd do both before I started panicking.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:38:09 pm

I'm currently on a Windows XP machine with CS3 so, if you're using a different version of AE or Vista, your path will be a little different from this , but probably close enough to figure out:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS3\Support Files\Plug-ins

Personally, I always make a new folder inside of that folder for third-party plugins, but as long as they're inside that folder, they should show up. If not, ask the guy who wrote them whether any other install steps are needed. If the answer to that is no, my guess is that there is something about your machine that is different from his and it is something that his plugins need to work (QuickTime version, DirectX version, etc.).

Return to posts index

Danny Baldauf
on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:45:16 pm

yes i started the application and had a restart of my computer. i have the same direct X version installed and also quicktime.

so far, thanks for your suggestions. i talked to him but there is no more needesd, just putting them into the effects folder. this works fine on his mchine... hm... not on mine...

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Sep 16, 2009 at 6:47:33 pm

The only other thing I can think of is sometimes AE will stick individual plugins in strange places ... for example, if you're machine has more plugins installed than your friend's, AE might be putting them in the notorious "other" folder or in another existing plugin folder you may not have looked in. Or, if you have other plugins installed with individual names or folder names that conflict with the new plugins, AE could react by not loading them (although that would typically generate an error warning upon launch) or putting them in a folder you wouldn't think to look in. That's all I've got.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:02:15 pm

Dave Johnson put it nicely. I'll put it bluntly:

It sure sounds to me that you're trying to use third-party plugins without paying for them. You erroneously thought you could just copy 'em into the plugins folder.

Well, ha! They don't always work that way! And if you think we're going to help you do something illegal -- namely STEALING -- you've got another thing coming, pal.

Now that I jumped all over you, do you have anything to say to contradict what I've written? Any extenuating circumstances I might have overlooked? I'm all ears.....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:38:07 pm

Dave, I must say, you are quite the diplomat and your responses always bring a smile to my face ... at the same time, I'm also glad you're not negotiating with enemies of state who have big bombs! ;~)

I actually detest sugar-coating and beating around the bush too, but I've been in an extremely "corporate" environment for the past 5 years so, now, the dribble just flows without me even realizing it! ;~)

Giving the benefit of doubt, it is possible that Danny did purchase the plugins, but just failed to read the installation instructions.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:44:48 pm

You're right -- the guy simply could have thought, "Hey, I'll just drag my new plugins into the plugins folder... who needs installation instructions?"

If that's the case, his worst offense is not following instructions.

Now, I DID give the guy an out. I hope he's able to take it, but I have five whole American dollars that says he can't.

On the off chance he does, sir, I'll have a bet to settle with you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:57:01 pm

Well, sir, despite my willingness to extend the benefit of doubt, I still think the smart money is with you so I'll pass on that bet. ;~)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:59:37 pm

Too late. The guy actually responded with valid extenuating circumstances. I'll need an email address to contact you off the COW.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]