ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

i told 2 friends and the told 2 friends

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Tannenbaumi told 2 friends and the told 2 friends
by on Sep 14, 2009 at 10:15:02 pm

Ok this is a language issue: I am looking for the effect that I am sure is built into AE. It's the effect that is right from the Breck shampoo ad from 30 or so years ago where the woman says I told 2 friends and they told two friends and so on and so on all the time the image divides and divides and divides until there are many many duplications of the same image.

I've tried using the words "tile" "echo" "multiple" "repeat"

What's the effect called?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: i told 2 friends and the told 2 friends
by on Sep 14, 2009 at 10:19:51 pm

[David Tannenbaum] "What's the effect called? "

Sorry to disappoint, but there really isn't effect to do this. It's called planning, designing and constructing an AE project.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: i told 2 friends and the told 2 friends
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 2:52:15 am

Sure there is :)

Motion Tile will do what you are looking for... it takes a source layer and gives you options to scale the original source and/or expand the output. A combination of the two with good timing will allow you to make it look like the camera is panning out or splitting.

Note that it is using the ONE piece of footage, so if you wanted it to be lots of different people at once, you'd need to do it very differently.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: i told 2 friends and the told 2 friends
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:14:03 pm

yep, motion tile (cc repetile would do it too, but motion tile would be slightly easier for this one).

you can add a little expression to the tile width & height to link it to scale so that it easily replicates itself as you animate the scale. the expression would be like this:

for width:

for height:

if you get really small for the scale, you may end up with an error like "unable to create layer size xxxx by yyyyy". you can work around that by adding the transform effect above the motion tile effect, then link the tile width/height to the scale property in the transform effect and animate that scale property (rather than the actual layer scale property).

the expression for width & height would then look like this if you had 'uniform scale' on:
value/effect("Transform")("Scale Height")*100

this method does add a slight edge between the tiles, but it will get you around the maximum layer size issue.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved