ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Image Sequence of Different Sizes Help

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David MichaelImage Sequence of Different Sizes Help
by on Sep 12, 2009 at 4:51:01 pm

Hey there, I've got a bunch of image sequences I'm trying to work with in AE and I can import them fine and they play well except that the images are not of uniform size. Whenever the sequence runs across an image that is smaller than the largest image it adds white space to the bottom and right side. I used a color key to try and key out the empty space, but now it is black. Does anyone know how I can make this space transparent? I appreciate any advice! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Image Sequence of Different Sizes Help
by on Sep 14, 2009 at 5:14:14 pm

When you import an image sequence, AE assumes all the images are going to be the same size, and yours obviously weren't. I'd animate a rectangular mask with hold keyframes: that way, you can keyframe the a mask at the edge of the layer on the frame before the small picture, move the mask on the next frame, and move the mask back to its original spot on the frame following that.

It's a heck of a lot easier than trying to key footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David MichaelRe: Image Sequence of Different Sizes Help
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 9:26:17 pm

Thanks for your advice. If I understand you correctly, you think it would be best to keyframe each change in image size? The only problem with this is that the picture size changes from frame to frame and there are about 250 frames. And this isn't the only image sequence I'm working with in this fashion, so putting in the time to manually do it wouldn't make sense in the long run. If I am not understanding you properly, I apologize. Again, I appreciate your help.

What I am thinking is that maybe if I can apply a key just to a certain region of the image (that being the black space set by the smallest image) I could do an OK job. I just hope there is a better way. Perhaps there is a better way of creating an image sequence to begin with?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved