ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

vanishing people

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Hernandezvanishing people
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 1:50:08 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if their is anyone out there that knows how to make a person vanish in After Effects? Currently using AECS-3.Thanks.

Alex

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: vanishing people
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 3:10:25 pm

Off the top of my head, I can think of five different methods for doing it. Given time for thought, I could come up with more. Each one looks different, and each one has a different level of complexity. I am NOT about to write each method down just so you can pick and choose.

So perhaps you could indulge us by describing IN DETAIL what you see in your mind's eye when you use the phrase, "how to make a person vanish".

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex HernandezRe: vanishing people
by on Sep 12, 2009 at 4:38:55 am

Thank you David for your response.
My apologies for not explaining myself in full detail. I am writing a script for a Christian horror film. I'm not sure if you are familar with the term "Rapture" (not meaning to insult you of anyone's intelligence)but the script calls for millions of people vanishing. WAIT! DON'T LEAVE! Obviously, I'm not looking for an effect to make 1 million people vanish-just a couple. Here is an example what I'm looking for:
Two good friends walking down the street OR seating at a coffee shop. One friend is talking to the other and gets distracted for a second. Turns around and "POOF," his friend is gone!!! No fade out, no particle, no bright light effects. Camera does not move. Could you or someone you know please help me? I promise I will give a BIG movie credit to the one who does. Thank you!
Alex H

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2009 at 5:08:32 pm

[Alex Hernandez] "Two good friends walking down the street OR seating at a coffee shop. One friend is talking to the other and gets distracted for a second. Turns around and "POOF," his friend is gone!!! No fade out, no particle, no bright light effects. Camera does not move."

You don't need any special effects in either case: just good editing. Here's what I mean:

Wide Shot: 2 friends walk down the street, talking to each other. A car passes by and splashes up water.
Tight Shot: The guy who was just speaking jumps aside to avoid the water. He turns back to talk to his friend, and looks dumbfounded.
Wide Shot: The dumbfounded guy is still there, but his friend is gone.

See?

Instead of being a writer asking how to do effects, you should write your script, find a director and let that person figure out what needs effects and what doesn't.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris DavisonRe: vanishing people
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 10:31:30 pm

Hi Dave,
I'm a director and agree with you about doing different size shots and then match cutting a head/body turn, a fast way to create the illusion of a sudden disappearance. My question for you is: what is the best way to make someone visually fade away and disappear in-frame? My next film calls for one of the actors to slowly fade out of the frame while some writing slowly appears on the wall behind her. Any and all suggestions most appreciated.

chris

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2009 at 11:00:03 pm

You'd want to double-check this with somebody who's done effects supervision, but here are a couple of things:
  • If the camera's moving, you're going to need motion control and two passes: one with actor, one without.
  • If it's a locked-down camera, just have the actor move out of the shot... and make sure nothing in the background is moving either.
  • Moving background? Chroma key!
  • Make sure you have matchmoving and 3D software handy: you'll need to replicate the texture of the background for that write-on, do the writing on in the 3D app, and composite it in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Uriah AvinashRe: vanishing people
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 5:32:34 pm

Thank you Dave I read your post and I am happy with that. But Dave I want you to help me to do a vanishing shooting without any effects.

I am from the Northern part of Ghana and we just started to shoot film in our own language and we don't any effect software. We are using Pinnacle studio 9.3 to do editing and most of the effects are locked and there are no vanishing effect on it.

Please, kindly help us to use the camera to do some simple vanishing shooting effects.

Thank you

My email uriahaduko@gmail.com and my no +233209022645

Blesses and peace

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]