ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Order of Operations, what and why?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason JohnsonOrder of Operations, what and why?
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:04:10 am

Hey guys. Going back and forth between premiere pro on my pc station and a macbook pro station using final cut. This may be a really stupid question but right now my mind is swimming and I need a little clarification on some basic things in premiere pro...

Im using a PMW-EX1. I shoot at both 720p and 1080p at 24p or 30p. My question is mainly about the sequence, the render then the export..Should my sequence always match the original footage specs? For example Im playing with some 1080p footage I want to upload to youtube. I know i eventually have to export to 720p so do I make my sequence 720p or leave it at the footage's resolution and then export at 720? Also, I don't get this whole render thing. On final cut its all realtime whenever I do stuff. Do I have to hit enter to render everytime I do something in Premiere? Or am I misunderstanding?

And I guess this is a repeat of the first question but should my sequence settings match what I want it to be eventually exported at?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Order of Operations, what and why?
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:39:08 pm

[Jason Johnson] "Going back and forth between premiere pro on my pc station and a macbook pro station using final cut."

Ugh. Unless I had no other choice, I stick with one platform or the other. Too many extra ways to screw up, y'know?

Before we can give you a straight answer, you need to tell us what you're doing on each machine, how you're capturing the video, the codecs you're trying to use, the resolution of the footage, whether or not you're trying to do a film frame rate, what you're expected to deliver...

....you know, the basics.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason JohnsonRe: Order of Operations, what and why?
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 6:54:05 am

Oh shoot I'm really sorry, I thought this was the Premiere Pro Basics thread! Sorry for posting in the wrong section. Completely accidental.

The reason why I'm working on two platforms is because my partner is on the mac and he isn't too tech savy and I'm doing most of the importing/exporting/encoding/burning etc. We want to be able to edit independently and even simultaneously on the footage we shoot. He's been using a mac for his entire life so that's what he got a new MBP. I'm well versed in both and a pc man first. We wanted to be flexible and versatile with our company/production so we.. I wanted to have both. Also CS4 has Final Cut Pro project importing..so that's the reasoning behind that..

Anyway, shooting on PMW-EX1 in XDCAM EX 1080p 24 and 30 fps. 720p 24 and 30 fps. All HQ. Capturing it by dragging directly off the SxS 32gb and 8gb directly on to my hard drive and externals. (Regardless of what people say, this works, dragging and dropping BPAV folders directly from SxS to desktop, both on Pc and mac). And just for backup I also transfer through the clip browser although I don't really understand it, the mac use the transfer tool..don't get the difference really..

As far as what we're expected to deliver it varies. RIght now we're all over the board. But we are always shooting in HD, regardless. Frequently taking the HD footage and converting it to DVD. Other times converting it to 720p for Youtube HD. Other times putting it back on the card for full 1080p display out of the camera..etc etc. Its not really relevant:

I just wanna know on Premiere Pro if I have to have my sequence match my footage resolution, or match it to what I want it outputted at? And why? Also do I have to render in Premiere? Isn't that what media encoder does when I export? DO I have render and export? Seems redundant to me..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Order of Operations, what and why?
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 5:28:41 pm

[Jason Johnson] "I just wanna know on Premiere Pro if I have to have my sequence match my footage resolution, or match it to what I want it outputted at? And why? Also do I have to render in Premiere? Isn't that what media encoder does when I export? DO I have render and export? Seems redundant to me.. "

You need to know that I'm a Final Cut Pro guy, but since almost all NLEs work pretty much alike, here's my response: the processors can't keep up. Premiere needs to render certain effects, transitions, etc., and whether it renders is dependent on size (HD/SD) and codec. It does it for both real-time playback and to show the project in best quality.

...and from there, it renders again in the media encoder to create a single file. It isn't rendendant. It's how things work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]