ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how to leave object in the same place

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
efraim orhow to leave object in the same place
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 2:22:00 pm

good evening everybody.
I have a pretty dumb (I guess) question, but I cant get it right...
so here it goes:
sometimes you're working with a footage that ain't static, but a real time moving scene, means:
some parts of the video visible and not visible for a few time.
my question is: how to KEEP something in the SAME spot.
for example, I'm trying to add a cloud in the sky, and I did it...obviously the problem is how to keep that cloud in the same spot in the sky, in spite of the fact that the camera is keep moving and sometimes the sky in the frame and sometimes not.

I know how to work with tracing tool, but I thought you need that the tracking areas will be areas that always in frame, no?

right now btw I'm working on scene like this --->

see how the words "and waters my" just STAY on the floor, despite the camera is moving, like its really there.

here is the guide btw-->http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/vfx/create-a-breathtakingly-awesome-rain-scene-day-2/

according to that guide you don't even need tracking tool, and yet... just cant get it right!!

thank you all.

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: how to leave object in the same place
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 7:14:20 pm

If you know how to work the tracking tool then you are mostly there. You can offset the tracking area and the track center, but this may be more hassle than it's worth. It's often simpler to track smaller sections of your footage to multiple null objects and parent those together. This will create one long tracking layer that you can parent your cloud to.

This does mean that you have to track objects on the same plane (roughly speaking, the same relational distance to the camera) otherwise your track will not work. You'll have to manually adjust it so that it looks right.

Does this help? Take another read through the motion tracking part of the manual if you need to.

All the best,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Training | Editing | Support
Out Now - Film Wash Color Effects Vol. 3
for After Effects & Apple Color

Return to posts index

efraim orRe: how to leave object in the same place
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 7:47:18 pm

thank you ben, Ill try.
any of you guys can help with the "awesome-rain-scene-day-2" guide?

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: how to leave object in the same place
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 12:30:36 am

For sticking things into a scene, tracking is indeed what you want.
I second the suggestion to read the part of the manual - there are lots of good features and tips in there.

In the tutorial you linked, there is no real footage, so they don't need to track. If you create your scene in 3D, the objects will stay in their right place. Read the tutorial carefully - he has a photo that he stretches around to create the scene, and creates the raindrops himself. So that's why he doesn't need to track the footage, because it's not really video footage, he is creating it himself.

Return to posts index

efraim orRe: how to leave object in the same place
by on Sep 5, 2009 at 1:33:45 pm

Stuart, can you please give me the number of the picture that explains how to make the text parent to the photo??

can figure it out:[

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: how to leave object in the same place
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 1:25:44 am

I don't think you are reading the tutorial carefully enough... have you tried following along with it?

He DOESN'T parent the text to the image. When you are working in 3D space, any objects that are 3D (using the 3D layer switch) will automatically respond to the camera movements. So if you put an image in the scene, and have some text also positioned in 3D space, they will both move in a "realistic" way when you move the camera, which is what is happening in the tutorial.

Steps 121 - 132 are dealing with text and all the steps that have info about camera keyframes and movement (such as step 146) are to do with the camera and the movement.

If you don't understand what is going on by reading hte tutorial, I suggest you take a step back and learn some more basics. Of course everyone wants to create cool stuff, but by trying to do that without good foundations, you will either have constant issues and get frustrated, or otherwise only be able to copy other people's things...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]