ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Making a Kind of a "Noisy" Text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave SlippMaking a Kind of a "Noisy" Text
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:26:53 am

Hey! ^^
I was trying to noise some text, just like it is on the above picture (exactly like the CHARACTERS are, with this dark "painting" over it). I've used "Add Grain" effect, but somehow it's not appearing over my text.

We all know that AFX does infinitely more than that. It is a newbie question. How could I do something like that? What effects would you suggest me to use on a text layer, for doing something like that?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Making a Kind of a "Noisy" Text
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 3:00:57 am

One way is to use the text layer as a track matte for a layer that consists of the grungy, noisy texture. That way, the texture just shows through according to the transparency (alpha channel) defined by the letters.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave SlippRe: Making a Kind of a "Noisy" Text
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 3:13:30 am

Yeah, that's it.
I'll try and I'll come back with the results.
Thanks, Todd.

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Making a Kind of a "Noisy" Text
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 1:21:55 pm

I'd just add 2 things to Todd's advice ...

Unless you plan to do it in Photoshop or have other means to generate the grungy look (there are many ways), in order to do it from scratch in AE you might try Fractal Noise along with whichever other noise or distortion filters suit your taste.

As far as why your Add Grain didn't show up, it's probably that you were applying all your affects in a way that wouldn't properly effect the text (Todd's advice will fix that) or that you applied the Grain to plain white text and/or didn't adjust the default settings to make the grain prominent enough to be visible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved