ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

career choices

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kuzhou shaocareer choices
by on Aug 31, 2009 at 11:30:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm a college student majoring video production, right now we are taking Converging Media Class, which is basically learning how to use affter effects, after talking the first of this class that i'm thinking about my career, now i just got some question that i really need the answers:
1.what are the areas that i can seek a job if i'm good at after effects?
2. if i really want to stick on the after effects, what are the other softwares that are really necessary? order to get more experience and enhance my learning experience what are the other websites i can look at?

thank you all for any reply, this is really important for my future!

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: career choices
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 4:01:18 am

1. The two main areas that After Effects is used in are Motion Graphics and Compositing/Visual Effects (you can google those terms to learn more). I guess there are other good uses for it but that's mainly what I think of, anyway. Others should jump in and point out additional stuff I haven't htought of :)

2. For a lot of things, you can get by with just After Effects, along with knowledge of image creation and manipulation. Photoshop is pretty important for most things, and Illustrator may also be useful. Many people will learn a 3D application which can help with creating cool stuff to work with... these are useful for both Motion Graphics and Compositing work. Then, depending on what you want to develop, there may be other things that become important to go with or replace After Effects.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: career choices
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 3:03:34 am

I thought I'd add a couple of specific examples to Stuart's list.

In the past I've been paid to do work on commercial DVD Menus, TV spots, logos, film festival trailers and other promotional materials.

Now I work pretty much exclusively on internally and externally distributed corporate videos. These projects range from video logo production to higher level marketing to bumpers and lower thirds.

I've had the most fun doing DVD Menus and TV spots :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved