ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Setting aspect ratio on images

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam CarletonSetting aspect ratio on images
by on Aug 22, 2009 at 1:10:06 pm

I am playing around with my 8.5 FPS DSLR (Nikon D2H) to try to create a short video clip. I cannot figure out how to get the image aspect ratio correct. I am guessing that I am running into the issue that a pixel size in a still image is not the same thing as it is in video.

Here is what I have done:

1: Create a new composition (HDV 1080 29.97)
2: Dropped a series of 2464x1632 images into the composition

The images look very streched out. What do I need to do to get the images to be the correct aspect ratio so that I can determine where I want to crop?

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: Setting aspect ratio on images
by on Aug 23, 2009 at 4:33:37 am

The comp settings you have chosen specify a pixel aspect ratio of 1.33, so your images are being stretched by that factor.

However, you should be able to drop images into this type of comp and AE will interpret them correctly. You may have the 'toggle pixel aspect ratio correction' button (bottom right of Composition panel) switched off. Switch it on to see what the final comp will look like.

You may already know that this is the best comp setting for you, but if you are planning to present the footage via the web or on a computer monitor you might consider a different comp setting - one that is square pixel. That way there is less mucking about and it will look great on a monitor.

Simon Bonner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved