ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Problem with Camera Move (PingPong-Effect)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Markus AuzingerProblem with Camera Move (PingPong-Effect)
by on Aug 21, 2009 at 9:03:51 pm

Hi there!

I want a camera (bound to a null-object) to move to a certain position, stay a few seconds, move on, stay, move on, stay ...

So I animated the Position & Orientation from the Null to which the camera is bound to.

Now the problem(?) is, that at some point a strange PingPong-Effect occurs, and I don't know why. This means, when the camera should stay still, the first Keyframe has exactly the same parameters (Position & Orientation) as the second one, but the camera moves a little back and for again, but I would like it to stay still.

What is the reason for this strange effect?

I would be pleased, if someone could tell me, how to supress this effect.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Problem with Camera Move (PingPong-Effect)
by on Aug 21, 2009 at 10:35:36 pm

from "Controlling change with interpolation":

"In some cases, the Auto Bezier spatial interpolation for Position keyframes can cause undesired back-and-forth (boomerang) motion between two keyframes with equal values. In such a case, you can change the earlier keyframe to use Hold interpolation or change both keyframes to use Linear interpolation."

On that same page, there are some links to tutorials by Aharon back here on the COW that show a visual demonstration of what's up and how to fix it.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved