ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

after effects file sizes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Kelsey
after effects file sizes
on Aug 11, 2009 at 7:18:38 pm

Why are my After Effecs files so big? For example, (to test) I dropped in a quicktime video file that was 74 MB.
I did nothing but render to a quicktime file using the default animation compression. I didn't change any settings. After it rendered, it was 3.5 G's! What am I doing wrong?

OSX 10.5.6
2.93 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM
Glyph 1TB external Hardrive

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: after effects file sizes
on Aug 11, 2009 at 7:43:25 pm

You have "transcoded"---you effectively converted your movie to being encoded by the Animation codec. The Animation codec is good at preserving image information; it's not good at making files small.

Your original movie was encoded using a codec that was good at keeping files small. After Effects unpacked this information to make a full image. You just didn't tell After Effects to stuff the image information back into a highly compressed form.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Brian Kelsey
on Aug 11, 2009 at 7:59:25 pm

Very good information, thank you. Which compression would you suggest? I am using AECS4. It is HD 1920x1080 video for television...thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 11, 2009 at 8:06:38 pm

This is a huuuuuuuge question, and frequently asked.

Here is the very simple answer:

If you're encoding for final delivery, then you need to ask your client what they want.

If you're encoding for intermediate or archival purposes, then you should use a lossless codec. For 8-bpc work, I like QuickTime movies encoded with PNG or Animation, depending on the kind of imagery.

Here's a link to a section in After Effects Help about compression: "Encoding and compression options for movies"
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]