ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Beginners Glossary?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim MorecroftBeginners Glossary?
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 4:33:29 pm

Hello, I've haphazardly been placed into the world of compositing and motion graphics through my job, and while ive been able to go into programs like AE and change settings and add filters to do some adequate stuff i've been doing it without really knowing whats going on actually. I've had no problems finding to tutorials for operating these programs or creating task specific effects, but unfortunately most ive watched havnt explained what the effects are and why im using that effect. So to try and avoid just copying what the tutorials tell me to do and actually understand the concept i was wondering if there was any online "glossary" of sorts to explain things like "luminance" "lumi-matte" "displacement map" while theres a certain amount of contextual understanding, something like a glossary would be very helpful. Sorry for the long post, but i wanted to try and explain my problem as best as possible. Thank you for your time.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Beginners Glossary?
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 5:42:58 pm

I try to explain each of these terms in context in the respective sections of After Effects Help. For example, the section about track mattes gives an overview of mattes and explains what a luma matte is.

You should be able to search After Effects Help and get the basic information. Just make sure that you read the overview and introduction sections, not just the procedural steps.

There's also a general overview section that links to some chapters from a few books that do a good job of explaining things from the beginning.

And, of course, you can ask here.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved