ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

paint write on or stroke a drawing being drawn

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
anita sancha
paint write on or stroke a drawing being drawn
on Jul 31, 2009 at 9:38:50 pm

Hi..

I want to animate a drawing of a house as if it is being drawn in real time by a child.

So far I have tried to use paint 'write on" but each time I lift my pen, the picture disappears and then I don't know where to start the next drawn line. Also as the paint pen only works on the layer view, I don't know where other layers lines are either, I looked at stoke and that would mean making the final drawing and then working backwards, and it might have to be a very simple drawing.

I just wondered what advice you would give as to how I approach this as there are no onion skins to view through layers when drawing. Are there any video tutorials too.

Thanks.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
Re: paint write on or stroke a drawing being drawn
on Aug 2, 2009 at 6:32:19 pm

Hi Anita,

Yes, you can do this. Draw your picture on paper (the simpler the better) and scan it in. Then follow these steps:

1: Add it to a new comp.
2: Add the luma key effect, and make it key out white. Change the threshold amount until the white bg is keyed out and only the black ink is visible.
3: Go to the layer menu and chose 'auto trace'. Make sure the 'new layer' box is checked. The other default settings should be fine. Hit ok.
4: To the new layer with all the masks on, add the stroke effect. Set it to stroke all masks, and to stroke sequentially.
5. Set keyframes for the start property, animating from 100 - 0.

Voila. You should have something like the video below. You can change the order of the masks if you don't like the default order AE has chosen. You can also change the stroke colour, width, BG color, etc to your preference. Good luck!

ps, I like your website - best use of animation ever!

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Aug 2, 2009 at 8:07:57 pm

hi...

Thanks... Looks like this could be useful but I have not quite "got it" unfortunately, I am doing something wrong.... !!!???

But anyway on a test of just a drawing of a box and a roof and a chimney (3 shapes) I could not get this to work even like you say.

Set keyframes for the start property, animating from 100 - 0.
Do you mean 100% and the end 0%. Also key out white as in key out brighter?

Also on stroke can "reveal original image" work to expose the original drawing. So I can use the colors of the children s pens in the drawings?

Anyway this may not seem clear.... but I must be "missing" something. Tried 3 times.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
on Aug 3, 2009 at 2:17:36 am

For animating, look up keyframes in help. Basically a keyframe is when you tell a property (like scale, position, start, end) to be a certain value at a certain point in time. If you then set it to be another value at another point in time, it will animate between those two values.

Yes, you can set the stroke effect to 'reveal layer' instead of 'on transparent', but if i remember correctly this only works as expected if the stroke effect is actually on the layer you want to reveal. In this case, it is on a separate layer. So what you want to do it keep it 'on transparent' and set the bottom picture layer to use the solid layer as an 'alpha matte' To find out how to do that, check the help files for alpha matte (in brief, there is a drop down menu on the layer in the timeline panel - if you can't see it, hit f4).

Yes, but key out white I meant key out brighter. Be sure to change the threshold or it won't work. You might have to toggle on transparency (button on bottom of composition panel) to see it working.

Anyway, let me know how it goes. You might find it useful to check out the list of podcast tutorials here at the cow and search for the stroke effect - i think there are a couple of podcasts on that topic. And if you are stuck with the concept of keyframes, check out tutorial number 3 here http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]