ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Bezier Handles in graph editor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Hudson
Bezier Handles in graph editor
on Jul 24, 2009 at 3:33:35 pm

I am fairly new to AE, having used mostly Shake in the past. I have an issue where my Bezier handles appear inconsistently. I set the keys to Continuous Bezeir and sometimes the key will have a handle and sometimes it will not. Is there a handle visibility toggle I am missing? I have searched the help and web in vain.

thanks

Tony Hudson- Visual FX Supervisor for "The Singularity is Near" and "The Pranksters"

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Bezier Handles in graph editor
on Jul 24, 2009 at 3:37:31 pm

What happens when you put the timreline cursor on the keyframe whose handles you want to tweak?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tony Hudson
on Jul 24, 2009 at 3:42:51 pm

When I highlight the keyframe it will glow yellow, but no handle. I can visually see the slope of the curve change when I toggle from linear to Continuous, but I have not handle to control the slope. perplexing.

Tony Hudson- Visual FX Supervisor for "The Singularity is Near" and "The Pranksters"

Return to posts index

Tony Hudson
on Jul 24, 2009 at 3:51:53 pm

I should also mention that I am losing the Bezier handles in the value graph, not the speed graph.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:27:49 pm

AE Help has this to say about such things:

"Two types of graphs are available in the Graph Editor: value graphs, which show property values; and speed graphs, which show rates of change of property values. For temporal properties, such as Opacity, the Graph Editor defaults to the value graph. For spatial properties, such as Position, the Graph Editor defaults to the speed graph."

Could that be the problem? I found that tidbit of info here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tony Hudson
on Jul 24, 2009 at 10:01:02 pm

Nope, not that. I actually came across that page this morning while trying to figure this out. I think it has something to do with the zoom magnification within the value editor, but that is just a guess.

I have also tried switching to the curve tool and converting to try to pull out handles. Doesnt' work. Also tried the suggestion of using the 'G' key to pull out the handle. No luck there either.

thanks tho

Return to posts index

Touko Maksimainen
on Apr 13, 2010 at 7:03:51 am

Well, I've run into this often, and it took me a long time to figure out.

AE doesn't allow bezier handles for linked multi-spatial properties (Anchor Point, Position, Orientation, Scale). Your options are to either try to make do with the speed graph or separate the property dimensions.

Right click on the property and click Separate Dimensions. Now if you for example applied this to Position property you would get position x, position y (and position z if 3d) which you can then animate separately using the bezier handles.

It actually isn't AE's fault, it's just many other programs separate the dimensions by default. If you were allowed beziers with multi-spatial properties you would run into problems like the gimbal lock.

Return to posts index

Sam Papai
on May 19, 2010 at 3:52:20 pm

Do you know why some linked properties won't let you separate the dimensions? Specifically, I'm working with a text animator position property. The option to separate dimensions is grayed out. Also, there was another multi-spatial property that wasn't letting me separate dimensions either, but I don't remember what it was... I know this works with the basic transforms, but is there a way to do it with other properties as well?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark Oertig
on Nov 1, 2012 at 9:28:11 am

Allready more then two Years ago, but thanks a lot for the Info! :)

Return to posts index

Darren Holmes
on Mar 2, 2015 at 1:26:19 pm

This information and all contributions, still helpful (2015). Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rob Fasold
on Mar 26, 2015 at 5:09:43 am

Dito, just saved me from more aggravation! Thank you all kindly.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Frank Wells
on Jul 14, 2015 at 8:40:19 pm

winner winner chicken dinner. Thanks, that helped me out.

Return to posts index

James Poulakos
on Nov 20, 2015 at 8:07:39 pm

Yep, this question and its answers helped me today, too. Thanks, Dave, et al!

BTW, it helps speed my work to know these 2 shortcuts for changing keyframe interpolation:

Set a key's interpolation (so you can get bezier handles): Ctrl+Alt+K / Command+Option+K (Mac)

TOGGLE a key to Hold or Auto Bezier: Ctrl+Alt+H / Command+Option+H (Mac)

Also, I found it helpful, if I separate the dimensions, to just get rid of any dimension I wasn't animating. I'm making an object bounce vertically right now, so I got rid of the X position keys by clicking the little stopwatch for X.

Return to posts index

Donald Daedalus
on May 3, 2016 at 8:07:29 pm

If you separate dimensions on one layer, you have to do it on the other layers in order to see the handles. Thanks Touko for the lead.

-D

Return to posts index

Sam Hakes
on Oct 10, 2017 at 2:37:08 pm

Mind blown thanks! (2017)

Return to posts index

Cedric Laurenty
on Jul 20, 2017 at 6:29:50 pm

Here's how:

Return to posts index

Remus Hosu
on Jul 20, 2017 at 7:42:52 pm

There's another cool tutorial on how to work with bezier keyframes inside the graph editor, if you're interested in checking that out:

https://bluefx.net/working-with-bezier-keyframes-graph-editor

http://bluefx.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]