ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

open/close shape path?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sergio juyak
open/close shape path?
on Mar 9, 2009 at 10:39:06 pm

I have an eliptical shape path. I want to break it to make it open. I can do this to a mask under Layer > Mask and Shape Path, but the option is greyed out when I have a shape path selected. Is it not possible?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: open/close shape path?
on Mar 10, 2009 at 5:31:24 pm

Shape paths have two varieties: parametric shape paths and Bezier shape paths. Parametric shape paths are defined numerically, by properties that you can modify and animate after drawing, in the Timeline panel. Bezier shape paths are defined by a collection of vertices (path points) and segments that you can modify in the Composition panel. You work with Bezier shape paths in the same way that you work with mask paths. All mask paths are Bezier paths.

The command to open or close a path is for Bezier paths.

When you create a shape by dragging with a shape tool in the Composition panel, you create a parametric shape path. To instead create a Bezier shape path, press the Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) key before you click to begin dragging. You can release the key before you complete the drag operation.

For more information, see these sections of After Effects Help:

"Create a shape or mask by dragging with shape tools"

"About shapes and shape layers"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

sergio juyak
on Mar 10, 2009 at 7:43:51 pm

Thanks for responding Todd. The problem was indeed because my shape path was parametric. I pasted a logo from AI and used a script to convert the mask paths to shape paths, and the counter of an "O" was converted to a parametric ellipse, while the remaining paths of the logo were converted to normal bezier path shapes.

Return to posts index

Declan Zimmerman
on Dec 11, 2013 at 10:04:38 pm

Hello,

I would like to open a bezier shape path I created using "Create Shapes From Vector Layer."

This was originally a closed path in the Illustrator file but I would like to open it in AE.

Is this possible? The "Closed" path indicator is checked and greyed out; I cannot seem to modify it either through the Layer menu or by right clicking on the shape path.

When I delete points from the path, the path always remains closed regardless of whether I directly select the points and delete, or use the pen-minus tool.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Return to posts index

Taras Chernenko
on Dec 18, 2015 at 8:01:43 pm

Hi!
Try to select two vertex

Return to posts index

Tom Munday
on Nov 17, 2016 at 4:49:59 pm

You sir, are a great man