ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Croping an Image

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Parsons
Croping an Image
on Sep 21, 2008 at 11:41:21 pm

I have a rectangular image in my timeline that I want to crop at the bottom so it will be square. This seems like it should be an excruciatingly simple process but I can't figure out how to crop it.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mike Clasby
Re: Croping an Image
on Sep 22, 2008 at 12:29:00 am

Methinks the easiest way is to hit Ctrl K, or Composition>Composition settings, and then change the dimensions of the comp, making it square. This comp can then be brought into a new comp.

Or you just could have precomped the layer (layer>Precompose (move all attributes) and then open the precomp and resize as above.

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Sep 22, 2008 at 1:30:50 am

Really? There's no effect I can drop on the image so I can crop it similarly to how Final Cut Pro does? Either that or something that would allow me to grab and drag the edges?

If not I guess I'll have to do it your way.

--------------------------------------------
Mac Pro | Leopard 10.5.3
2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon | 4GB Ram
Final Cut Pro Studio 2 | Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Sep 22, 2008 at 10:30:58 am

Create a mask....make sure the layer is selected, then select one of the mask tools (The rectangle is the right one for this job), now add either a mask at the bottom to cut out what you don't want and set the mask to substract in the timeline, or add a mask for what you want to see and makse sure the mask is set to add in the timeline. You can also create a new square solid and use it as a track matte for your image. You really do not need a filter to mask.

Regards

Mark

Mark Harvey
Senior Editor
Le R

Return to posts index

TC Perchert
on Sep 22, 2008 at 2:34:35 pm

Dustin - if you are new to the Mask tool in AE, you'll want to read help on how to adjust it. It may not appear as friendly as what you're used to with FCP, but it works well. I use both methods mentioned pretty frequently.

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Sep 22, 2008 at 6:13:56 pm

Ooooh yeah, I completely forgot about the mask tool. Cool, it's just what I was looking for. Thanks for your help.

--------------------------------------------
Mac Pro | Leopard 10.5.3
2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon | 4GB Ram
Final Cut Pro Studio 2 | Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

Mike Clasby
on Sep 23, 2008 at 5:14:15 am

The mask tool, of course. My bad. I think I assumed you would need to control the size of the crop to specified numbers, but I must have read that in on my own.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]