ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Add a ballon or bubble as in a cartoon

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Holzapfel
Add a ballon or bubble as in a cartoon
on Aug 25, 2008 at 5:32:07 pm

Hello,

I have just obtained After Effects CS3. I have not started using it yet. I did have one thought that I would like to do in a small "movie" I am editing for a friend. I am using iMovie for this.
(I do use FCP as well). I would like to add a cloud-like text balloon to a cat (as in animal) so it looks like the cat is thinking/saying something. I was wondering if, after I complete editing this video, and export it out to a .mov file, if I could import that .mov file to AE, scrubb along the timeline to the spot where I would like to add the text ballon, and add it to the movie in AE, and then export it back out (with its audio, etc) with the added cartoon like balloon?

Return to posts index

Tom Scott
Re: Add a ballon or bubble as in a cartoon
on Aug 27, 2008 at 1:43:08 am

First, from my own observations, cartoons don't use "thought bubbles" or "speech balloons" at all. Cartoons usually use audio for thought dialog, usually with a touch more reverb than spoken dialog (as an example, look at old episodes of "Married With Children", noting how the dog "talks"). Comic books use "thought bubbles" and "speech balloons".

While it's probably a matter of personal preference, I find the use of "thought bubbles" and "speech balloons" in video/film to look corny (which is okay if you're making a Monty Python-like video). Personally, I'd use close-ups of the cat, in conjunction with a vocal track (with extra reverb).

As to your question, you really only asked one thing:
"I was wondering if, after I complete editing this video, and export it out to a .mov file, if I could import that .mov file to AE, scrubb along the timeline to the spot where I would like to add the text ballon, and add it to the movie in AE, and then export it back out (with its audio, etc) with the added cartoon like balloon?"
And the answer is simply, "Yes".

Return to posts index

Eric Holzapfel
Re: Add a ballon or bubble as in a cartoon
on Oct 13, 2008 at 10:28:27 pm

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the reply, even if somewhat terse.
I was looking for a simple way to begin using Adobe After Effects. Hokey and or corny would have worked in my case, not being critical if something is a "cartoon" or a "comic strip" and the various was characters express themselves.

I tend to be a narrow thinker at times, BUT, the suggestion to use close-up of cat, with audio, is a good
suggestion.

Thanks,

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]