ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

enhancing the 'pleasantville' effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adswiftuk
enhancing the 'pleasantville' effect
on Aug 13, 2007 at 8:38:02 am

Hi All,

I'm a newbie at after effects and I've been entrusted with tarting up a music video for a few friends.
Using Final Cut Pro and After Effects 6.5, I've played around with the footage so far and have succesfully managed to rough it up in AE and add a 'pleasantville' effect in Final Cut.
I like the pleasantville effect (I've stripped it down to B&W and Red), but in some shots, the areas of red are quite small or are confined to rings around lights for example. If I entend the selection of colour to include orange it selects more of what I want to be colourised, but ideally I just want the colour pallete for the video to be red, black and white.

What I'd like to know is, is there a way I can select the orange areas (or any other colours I choose as well) and convert them all to red so that when I add the 'pleasantville' effect I have more areas of red to work with?

If anyone knows of any tutorials or tips for either AE or Final Cut Pro and could point me in the direction of them, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Ad.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: enhancing the 'pleasantville' effect
on Aug 13, 2007 at 9:43:27 pm

You'll want to create a matte from your source video in which all of the areas you want to effect are white, and the areas you don't are black. There are many ways to accomplish this.

Then you have a wide variety of options for adding color/limiting color in the matted areas. You could, for example, place your matte above a Red solid set to 'Color' blending mode and set to use the matte as a Luma Track Matte.

That's just one possible approach to get you thinking, there are quite literally hundreds more you could take.

Darby Edelen
DVD Menu Artist
Left Coast Digital
Aptos, CA

Return to posts index

cow
GregNeumayer
on Aug 15, 2007 at 11:37:46 pm

I like using
Effect/Color Correction/Leave Color
when I want to isolate a single color and leave the rest B/W.

Colorama is also a good "If I could only have one effect on a desert island" tool. It works much like Photoshop's duotones, but has the added benefit of full adjustment of the transparency on a per color basis. Just my little plug for Colorama.

-Greg

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezemotiongraphics.com

Return to posts index

Cris McRae
on Sep 15, 2011 at 4:55:20 am

Maybe you could explain how you do it with colorama.

Thanks
Cris is Bliss
C.I.B. Visual Productions/K3 Films
Rough Luxury Records

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]