ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to add frames/move keyframes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raulio
How to add frames/move keyframes?
on Mar 5, 2007 at 2:49:25 pm

Hi all,
I am quite new to AE (was doing Flash animation before). There's something that I've been trying to figure out in AE:

How can I add frames to a timeline?
If you're familiar with Flash, we can hit F5 (insert frames) at a certain point in the timeline, and all subsequent keyframes will be pushed back accordingly.

I've been trying to find a similar feature in AE. So far, I've been selecting and moving all keyframes manually if I want to change the animation timing. I tried using time remapping, but I think inserting "frames" will be easier and more accurate most of the time. Please help.

Many thanks!
Raul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to add frames/move keyframes?
on Mar 5, 2007 at 6:24:02 pm

AE doesn't have that F5 insert frames capability. However, you can lasso all keyframes you want to move, and move them en masse with no problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

duffbeer911
on Mar 5, 2007 at 11:42:36 pm

or right click on a keyframe and you can "Select all following keyframes" or "Select all previous keyframes" .... very handy

Return to posts index

Raulio
on Mar 6, 2007 at 2:56:40 am

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I've been lassoing and moving keyframes manually. This is where I find it to be a very tedious process. On bigger projects with many layers I spend a lot of time selecting the keyframes, because I need to expand and scroll to the layers and find which ones have the keyframes before I could lasso them.

Right clicking on a keyframe and selecting all following keyframes seem to work only on a single layer. Is there an easy way to select all subsequent keyframes on all layers?

Sorry if I'm asking too much, but after being able to change animation timing easily on Flash, I guess I just want to work a bit faster on AE.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

duffbeer911
on Mar 6, 2007 at 5:03:49 am

hmmm not that I'm aware of ... maybe flash is a better option for the types of animation you are doing? for me, I'm the opposite, if I try to do something in Flash it takes me ten times as long as AE....

hopefully someone else may know some other workflow shortcuts that may help

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Mar 6, 2007 at 10:59:36 am

There is indeed a contextual menu-item (right-click) in the timeline to select "All Following Keyframes", though it also works for just 1 property at a time.

Don't forget though, you can select all layers, then hit "U' to reveal all the keyframes in your entire timeline.
You can also use Alt-ArrowLeft or Alt-ArrowRight to nudge selected keyframes 1 frame to the left o right.
Add shift to nudge in 10 frame increments.

Here's a script I wrote that will select ALL keyframes on or after the current time:

http://www.vandueren.be/forumstuff/scripts/

Return to posts index

Thomas Damm
on Feb 3, 2010 at 12:20:34 pm

Does anyone know if there has been made improvements on this part in the newer versions of AE?

I am currently running After Effects CS4 and trying to add some frames in the middle of my production but I can't find any easy way to do this...

* Thomas

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:04:37 pm

[Thomas Damm] "Does anyone know if there has been made improvements on this part in the newer versions of AE? "

I don't know for certain, but I tend to doubt it. It isn't a big issue for longtime AE users, so and non-issues don't show up on Adobe's radar screen. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

But that doesn't mean you can't submit a feature request to Adobe...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thomas Damm
on Feb 4, 2010 at 7:46:17 am

Hmm, ok - thanks for the answer. I will consider doing that.

Nonetheless, I simply can't comprehend why that option is not needed for experienced users..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 4, 2010 at 3:48:14 pm

[Thomas Damm] "I simply can't comprehend why that option is not needed for experienced users."

I'd say it's because most AE users build comps from scratch, so their timings are are usually established. They typically don't have to do what you've done. It still isn't a very common thing to alter an animation built in Flash.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thomas Damm
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:39:20 am

Oh, but I have built mine from scratch in AE. But now I have some 20 layers that control my 45 seconds of animation (a bit of zoom in an orthographic photo, added with some lines and dots, etc.).

Then I suddenly discover I need some extra time in the middle of it all and I can't just move the sliders beacuse they are so interdependant with regards to the timing of the effects...

I know I can multiselect keyframes but it is very difficult to do it on 20 layers and get them all moved the precise same distance. Ofcourse it can be done but it is rather time consuming instead of just telling AE - at this specific frame I want 100 extra frames and everything else moved accordingly.
(as possible in Flash ,-)

Regards
Thomas

Return to posts index

Travis Schau
on May 10, 2011 at 7:53:31 am

The lack of this feature is astounding to me! It's still absent from CS5.

I'm just finishing a jazzed-up slideshow motion graphics piece, where the client said towards the end "it's too fast, add 1 second to each image".
Oh boy. That was fun. Thanks so much to Filip Vandueren, your script really saved me.

If any scripters want to write a more advanced script that adds or removes frames (in the same way f5 does in flash, pushing start/end markers of layers and extending tweens), that would be incredible.

-Travis

Return to posts index

Ben Chao
on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:55:45 pm

I really missed this feature in a recent project. There were ones on aescripts.com that did parts but not all of what I needed, so I combined some of them to recreate the F5 key for AE. The script shifts layers that occur after current time and pushes the end markers/keyframes for those that are on.

You can download the script here:
http://code.google.com/p/smdcode/downloads/detail?name=AE5.5%20-%20Add%20De...

If you need a better description of the script it's been posted here:
http://www.smartinteractionlab.com/painless-frame-addingdelete-in-after-eff...

As I mentioned, I combined a bunch of available scripts to do this, so special thanks to:
Filip Vandueren for FV_selectALLfollowing.jsx
Paul Tuersley for pt_ShiftLayers.jsx
Lloyd Alvarez for LayerHandles.jsx

- Ben

Return to posts index

Jerimy Brown
on Sep 23, 2011 at 8:12:35 pm

I see I am not the only person looking for this feature... Thanks for the script Ben

Return to posts index

Roland Werkman
on Dec 8, 2011 at 12:37:19 pm

man, you just saved my ass...
a very big thank you and i will vote for you @ the nobelprices!

Return to posts index

Fabrice Caudoux
on Nov 5, 2012 at 4:50:53 pm

Ben,

Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Return to posts index

Brian Monnone
on Feb 28, 2013 at 5:05:25 am

This is extremely useful. Also, for what it's worth, I've worked in Flash for over 13 years and AE for at least 7. The ability to insert or delete more time between animations is a MUST in multimedia, be it Flash, AE, or any other NLE. It's ridiculous to me that this feature has not been added after all these years.

I currently have a large AE project with nested comps, tons of keyframes, etc. and must too extend frames based on a client request and I thought surely CS6 must have this feature. The scripts posted above still work for CS6 and is a real time saver.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Jan schrieber
on Sep 11, 2013 at 6:08:48 pm

Ben, you're AWESOME!!! This still isn't a feature in CS6 CC... but thanks to you and your friends.... I can finally do something that should be simple in AE, and that has been in Flash for years.

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Nov 16, 2013 at 4:15:19 pm

Since this thread has come to my attention again.
a few caveats:

The script doesn't actually move keyframes, it deletes all the keyframes and then makes new ones at a time + the interval.
When it makes new keyframes, it only makes keyframes with the right values. What isn't copied is the spatial, and temporal information, wether it's a hold-keyframe, a roving keyframe etc.

for an implementation that does get it right (and has to be pretty complex in doing so) see this script:
http://www.redefinery.com/ae/view.php?item=rd_Scooter

First deleting every keyframe before making new ones can lead to the edge-case that when all keyframes of "time-remapping" are deleted, then the time-remapping property disappears, and you can't add keyframes back to it.

Also scripting chokes on custom_value-keyframes that can't be expressed as numbers, such as a keyframe of the Curve-or Levels effects.

Return to posts index

Travis Schau
on Nov 17, 2013 at 12:38:16 am

Thanks Filip, that's super useful.

I noticed the problem you mention because it sets all my motion path tangents to their default when I run the script, which is a major hassle and makes me avoid using it unless the need is dire. I started to look into fixing the previous script, and quickly realized it was no simple fix and I was out of my depth.

Looking forward to using this!

Return to posts index

doland ruiz
on Nov 18, 2013 at 7:33:32 pm

Hmm, I may not be doing it right. Thanks for the script. How do I get it to work as simply as the F5 key or the previous script on this thread? I tried various settings and it seems to move the layers instead of adding frames in between a layer. Or it adds frames at the beginning instead of the insertion point.

Return to posts index

Driss Devadip
on May 14, 2017 at 12:03:38 pm

This script is fantastic but it leaves some dirt like the curves of the keyframes after scrubber getting changed (easy-eased keyframes become linear, and some keyframes switch interpolation modes).

If you could improve it to work neatly like MAGIC, put it for sale on Aescripts.com and I'd buy it right away, and I'm obviously not the only one who would (look at the people in this thread), think about it!

Please consider, it is greatly needed! Thank you very much

Return to posts index

Wendell Washer
on Nov 10, 2013 at 9:37:40 pm

How to add frames to the After Effects timeline - In the top menu bar is the menu title "Composition." Scroll down to "Composition Settings." At the bottom of this window is the "Duration" text box. You can set the duration in hours, minutes, seconds and frames. For example 1 hour, 23 minutes, 45 seconds and 6 frames would be "1:23:45:06". You may also open the "Composition Settings" window by using the keyboard shortcut Control-K or Command-K.

Return to posts index

doland ruiz
on Nov 11, 2013 at 8:28:27 pm

lmao this entire thread went right over your head.

BEN CHAO, thanks so much for that script! It's exactly what we need!

I can't understand how some AE guys on here said it was not necessary. Maybe they don't use flash so they don't know what they're missing? I find myself constantly having to extend time for readability purposes or simply good timing, or my bosses asking me to "make that second text animation last longer". Instant perspiration lol. Thanks again for the script!

Now I'm going to see how to actually attach F5 to that script to completely get the Flash effect! :)

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Jul 26, 2018 at 10:35:24 am

https://aescripts.com/elastic-comp-changer/

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved