ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why deinterlace?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
cow_fan
Why deinterlace?
on Nov 18, 2006 at 2:43:57 am

Was surfing Andrew Kramer's videocopilot.com and noticed a tutorial on deinterlacing footage. I am wondering why I would need to deinterlace when it would still be interlaced when I watch the footage on my TV. Is there really a way to reduce the interlaced look on my videos when they're watched on an ordinary television? Thanks.

Return to posts index

duffbeer911
Re: Why deinterlace?
on Nov 18, 2006 at 11:41:00 pm

you are correct that it would still be interlaced when it goes to air . . but de-interlacing still creates a more "film" sort of look.

Interlaced footage from your camera has a different field (or half frame) 50 times a second (for PAL anyways). This 50 fields a second gives a very "video" look.

When you de-interlace in the most primitive of ways you are basically removing every second field or half frame. Then duplicate the one that is left so that you get a full frame. You've now got 25 frames every second, but you've lost vertical resolution. So when this goes to air it is still getting broadcast with fields but every two fields are exactly the same.

So instead of capturing a moment 50 times a second you're now seeing it 25 times a second.

Instead of just duplicating each field there are options to re-create that missing field. AE does a pretty good job on it's own, but plug-ins like Magic Bullet really are the best option.

Does that make more sense?

Return to posts index

cow
cow_fan
on Nov 19, 2006 at 3:59:02 am

thanks, makes sense now. Also, looking at andrew kramer's method of doing the deinterlacing, is that the same method done by magic bullet? Does magic bullet do the same thing in an automated way?

Return to posts index

duffbeer911
on Nov 19, 2006 at 10:13:22 pm

well I don't really know the techie side of magic bullet so maybe someone will want to correct me... but, I'm lead to believe,

in AE each missing field is interpolated by looking at the one above and below and just averaging out what should be in the middle. Magic bullet basically does the same thing but it has a smarter algorithm for calculating the missing pixels. I also believe that it does temporal sampling as well as spacial sampling. So it will look at the fields before and after to get a more accurate interpolation.

Return to posts index

cow
cow_fan
on Nov 20, 2006 at 7:07:45 am

Thanks duffbeer!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]