ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Education version

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
cow_fan
Education version
on Aug 28, 2006 at 11:45:32 am

What is the difference between the Education and the Commercial version of After Effects/ Production Studio? Does the education version has all the effects of the commercial version? If I buy a new plugin, can it be used by the Education version? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
Re: Education version
on Aug 28, 2006 at 4:06:23 pm

Actually because of the extra coding that Adobe does the Educational Versions, it runs faster and better than the commercial versions....Just kidding-it's Monday.
There is no difference between the two. Everything is the same. And with any plug-ins that you buy (as long as they are NOT educational versions) can migrate with you to a commercial version.

Cheers,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
on Aug 29, 2006 at 8:11:45 am

Actually that's not entirely true.

The Education version of After effects doesn't come with the Cycore plugins, although you do still get Keylight.

Graham

http://www.quinceweb.com - web design
--------
http://www.shiveringcactus.bravehost.com - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

cow
cow_fan
on Aug 29, 2006 at 1:00:09 pm

Thank you very much. I was about to buy it... good thing I posted that question before making any purchase decision. But is it possible to buy the education version and then later put in the plugins? Or should I just buy the commercial version?

Return to posts index

maverick13
on Aug 29, 2006 at 1:33:19 pm

If you don't need the Cycore plugins AND you're eligible to purchase the educational version, then buying now would make economic sense. Unless they've changed, Adobe education upgrades cost the same as their commercial upgrades unlike other software companies who make you pay the difference in cost between ed and commercial. It is possible to purchase and install the plugins separately. I'd take a hard look at your needs at the moment; educational discounts to qualified buyers often give a budding artist the hand up that he/she needs. And Adobe doesn't restrict usage of their commercial products.

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Aug 29, 2006 at 5:24:05 pm

[maverick13] " Adobe education upgrades cost the same as their commercial upgrades unlike other software companies who make you pay the difference in cost between ed and commercial."

Yes it's still the same, so it will cost you $200 to upgrade from AE 6.5 to AE7.0, wether it's educational or not.
Cheers

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Aug 29, 2006 at 5:18:46 pm

Not to slam you Graham, but please make sure you know what you are talking about before you post.

The Educational Version of After Effects comes with EVERYTHING that the commercial version does! Yes Cycore is part of the install-has been since it was bundled with AE.

To be clear: the educational version of ALL Adobe products are identical to the commercial versions.

The educational versions are marketed to aspiring artists as well as organizations that operate in the academic environment. The design of academic discounts is for students and organizations that do not generate or intend to make any money by using their product.
If you buy the software through an academic discount and go on to use the product to make money, you are abusing the system.

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

maverick13
on Aug 29, 2006 at 8:51:34 pm

"The design of academic discounts is for students and organizations that do not generate or intend to make any money by using their product. If you buy the software through an academic discount and go on to use the product to make money, you are abusing the system."

Point of clarification: While true for most educational software, this doesn't hold for Adobe. They have no problem with students using their software to make money. Educational FAQ here.

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Aug 30, 2006 at 12:32:50 am

I'll add what I know here.

As far as I know, the educational version of AE7 is identical to the retail version.

This wasn't true in the past, for AE or other Adobe products. Usually it was the plug-ins that get dropped (since Adobe is paying a per-copy fee to the plug-in publishers), and I know for a fact that the educational version of AE 6.5 did NOT have the Cycore plug-ins bundled. Since AE7 relies on many of the Cycore effects for the templates, and presets, they couldn't really do that this time, could they?

On the other part of the debate, it's just advisable to look closely at the licensing agreement before you click YES. I can't find a good reason why Adobe would offer a hefty discount on a $1000 application to anyone with a student ID (or the address of the right e-retailer), but then again I'm not a marketing guy.

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Aug 30, 2006 at 2:41:37 am

Hi Tim,

[Timothy Kurkoski] "I know for a fact that the educational version of AE 6.5 did NOT have the Cycore plug-ins bundled"

I'm curious about this??? This must be an urban myth??
I have AE 6.5 with Cycore right here (I can send you a picture of it on my Mac), so I don't know why people think that it doesn't? I believe it was a separate install with 6.5, but it was bundled. I wonder if people doing the installs weren't paying attention to all the install components and that's why people think it wasn't bundled? I've only been paying attention to academic AE since 5.5, and it's always been identical to the commercial version. Believe me, I would have noticed. The only time I can remember that Adobe left something off of an install or upgrade was Invigorator. I believe you didn't get it if you upgraded. It needed to be a new full version.

[Timothy Kurkoski] "since Adobe is paying a per-copy fee to the plug-in publishers"
I've always wondered about this...it would make sense that if Adobe was going to cut something for the academic version it would be this, but they don't-which is VERY COOL.

maverick: While true for most educational software, this doesn't hold for Adobe. They have no problem with students using their software to make money

Thanks for the heads ups. I'm shocked, but that's good for students.

[Timothy Kurkoski] "I can't find a good reason why Adobe would offer a hefty discount on a $1000 application to anyone with a student ID"
Yes, it's puzzeling, but if you've every seen the Adobe corporate building-they're doing something right. :)
Plus, for me-being in an academic setting- I REALY appreciate the discounts since we don't get any money for the production that we do.

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Robert Krauss
on May 20, 2011 at 11:40:27 pm

Not to slam you Todd, but I just bought the educational version and it DOES NOT come with the cycore effects package.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]