ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Time syncing between comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ocean ByrneTime syncing between comps
by on Jun 4, 2016 at 8:32:15 pm

Is there a way to reset time syncing between comps?

I know my setup is confusing and I'm asking a lot of AE - I have precomp, I'm doing time remapping to adjust the timing and add other layers, then all of that is precomped again for various reasons.

Despite all of that, it was working for me to be in master level comp, go to time X, and jump to sub comp 2 and have it be in the right place.

Then I imported another ae project into this project, which is set up exactly the same, and every time I jump between master and sub 2 they are way offset.

Is there anyway to get them synced up?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Time syncing between comps
by on Jun 5, 2016 at 11:29:52 am

Do the main comp and the precomp have the same starting point? Or does the precomp begin at a time after the beginning of the main comp?

What happens when you open the precomp by double-clicking its layer in the main comp, or by selecting it and pressing NumPad Enter?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Time syncing between comps
by on Jun 5, 2016 at 4:30:58 pm

Sure! The technique is known as "arithmetic".

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ocean ByrneRe: Time syncing between comps
by on Jun 5, 2016 at 4:50:27 pm

Ha. Whatever, go back in your cave and use your ancient voodoo arts of lore where none of us have to see it... What do you suggest next, that I get out my abacus to figure out how to edit this animation. Get with the times Oldman! It's 2016, which is, well I don't know how many years after arithmetic, since my cell phone calculator isn't currently getting wifi, but wither up and die already...

Also, I guess I haven't made too careful a study of it yet, but I'm pretty sure what with my varied time re-maps, it's not as simple as current frame - 100 equals my frame, seems like it is always changing.

Maybe I'll put a frame counter in my sub sub comp while I'm working, to make it easier. How you like them ancient ways apples grandpa!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Time syncing between comps
by on Jun 6, 2016 at 12:18:05 pm

[Ocean Byrne] "Also, I guess I haven't made too careful a study of it yet, but I'm pretty sure what with my varied time re-maps, it's not as simple as current frame - 100 equals my frame, seems like it is always changing."

The "Synchronize time of related items" feature doesn't work through time-remapping. The frame counter is a good idea.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]