ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Strange flicker/ghost on 3D text edges when 3D camera flies around

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gates BradleyStrange flicker/ghost on 3D text edges when 3D camera flies around
by on Jun 2, 2016 at 11:03:12 pm

Hello. I've seen a couple of posts on here about this, but all were 6 years old or more, and seemed to deal with interlacing issues, which is not the case here, although this woman seemed to have my problem –

I'm an experienced AE user dealing with an issue I've never come across. I have some texts in 3D space that track to a camera pan. I used the 3D camera tracker for this. However, in RAW preview and in a render, there's a weird flicker/ghosting, wherein it almost appears as if the text is strobing. There's nothing to indicate this on any individual frame, and I've tried playback on 2 different monitors (though both running 60hz), with the same result. I've used this technique many times, but never have had this issue. I've posted a screen capture, with the text over video and then on black (to emphasize the flicker).

I'm using AE CC 13.7.2 which is the latest addition as of the time of this writing. I have motion blur turned on for the text layers, as well as for the comp. I've tried messing with the comp shutter angle to no avail. Can anyone help? As of now the animation is really hard on the eyes and so not usable.

Many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Strange flicker/ghost on 3D text edges when 3D camera flies around
by on Jun 3, 2016 at 12:12:27 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 3, 2016 at 12:14:33 am

AE's working perfectly fine. No fooling. There's something else at work here. It's the combination of frame rate and the pan speed that's screwing things up -- a phenomenon known as "Judder". Go Google it; it's real, and it becomes more pronounced at lower frame rates. Anything between 23.976 and 25 fps, and you've really got to watch your horizontal motion.

How do you fix it? Either shoot at a higher frame rate, or alter the speed of the pan. You can't salvage the shot as-is.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved