ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

2D Cloth Effect/Simulation?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gus Maia2D Cloth Effect/Simulation?
by on May 31, 2016 at 7:24:08 pm

Hey guys,

I've just started animation project based on a couple digital artworks (PSD files) and I've noticed there are a lot of hair, curtains and stuff like that in the drawings that I would like to animate with some realism/naturality, so I came here to ask you guys what's the best way you know of doing it.

I did a quick search and found a couple of video tutorials using the 'Wave World' effect, would it work? Or are there any better effects or plugins?

Here are some screenshots of what I have:

Important: Some of the elements I want to animate this way are in separate layers, some others are along with the background.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: 2D Cloth Effect/Simulation?
by on Jun 1, 2016 at 6:43:37 am

There are several options: you can use an older package - Particle illusion- for the grass. It generates some pretty realistic grass moving in the wind. Once you have that you can apply various filters (Cartoon, Toon It) to get the look you want.
For the curtains and hair, you can either use Mesh Warp or Bezier Warp to animate (break the hair in separate strands), or you can try to trick it by using FreeForm Pro on the isolated drapes/hair layers with some expressions (from Dan Ebberts) to make the surface wavy in 3d space.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Gus MaiaRe: 2D Cloth Effect/Simulation?
by on Jun 15, 2016 at 7:28:10 pm

Thanks a lot man! I'll explore those options and post progress later ;D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved