ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Curves jumping to "pencil mode"?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron PozzerCurves jumping to "pencil mode"?
by on May 26, 2016 at 3:02:39 pm

so this has started randomly happening, and i cant figure out whats causing it.

i made a curves adjustment layer, make a point here n there to make my adjustment. i come back to the layer later, and instead of being in bezier/curve mode, the pencil mode icon has somehow been activated, meaning i cant adjust my curves, because i just get a jaggy pencil line if i click and drag.

iv clicked around trying to get my curves to come back, with a single control point per curve, but nothing works. clicking back to curve mode puts 5 or 6 points on every curve channel, again, making it useless to try and edit. inevitably i have to reset the layer and start over.

anyone else experience this, or know what causes it/how to stop it?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Curves jumping to "pencil mode"?
by on May 26, 2016 at 5:26:31 pm

I'd try the easy stuff first to fix it, in this order: shut down the machine, then trash AE Preferences. If there's no joy, we'll need to know the PRECISE versions of AE & your OS, right down to the very last decimal point.

e.g. "I've got the latest AE CC 2015" doesn't cut it. We need precise version numbers.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron PozzerRe: Curves jumping to "pencil mode"?
by on May 26, 2016 at 5:36:42 pm

restarted many times, but not tried trashing prefs. it doesnt happen all the time. it seems random, or theres something im doing that i havent identified that is making it happen.

in the mean time...

ver: 13.2.0.49

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2016 at 5:57:56 pm

....and the precise OS verion is?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2016 at 5:59:32 pm

win 7 x 64

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2016 at 6:09:41 pm

I think it's time to run an upgrade on your version of AE. Hey, you're on the cloud -- it's free.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2016 at 6:13:11 pm

i found the new version to be way too buggy, so no, im not switching yet. but, unless someone else has any idea why this could be happening, i guess ill live with it for now.

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2016 at 6:15:27 pm

Are you running anything out of the ordinary hardware, like a tablet, a high=-powered graphics card or something like that?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2016 at 6:18:02 pm

yes, both, but i dont consider either to be out of the ordinary for an artist using AE. if you're suggesting it might be the tablet, i can try unpluggin that when the problem comes up again... but i dont see how that could be the cause.

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2016 at 6:26:54 pm

The tablet drivers can occasionally impede proper functioning of AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2016 at 11:46:51 pm

iv noticed exatctly when its happening. i set a key on the curves layer, move ahead 1 or 2 frames, curves magically converts to pencil mode. step back 2 frames (not undo, just scrub), and its back to bezier mode.

further playing around showed me that if im between 2 keys, its in pencil mode. if im on a key, its in bezier mode. when i pass the last key, it stays in bezier mode. so the solution i guess is to copy/paste a key to where i want to make the new key, and adjust.

perhaps this is normal ae behaviour? i dont recall this happening before, but maybe it was.

Return to posts index

by on May 27, 2016 at 2:30:54 pm

No, it's not normal behavior. Try disconnecting the tablet & restarting your machine to see if it helps.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]