ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pr-Ae workflow and editing big files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy GerbillePr-Ae workflow and editing big files
by on May 25, 2016 at 3:39:32 pm

Hello,

I am working on a montage for Youtube. I've recorded some footage from a video game and want to edit the footage in Pr first, then add some effects in Ae. I have some questions regarding this workflow:

- I am working with relatively big Avi files (around 2,0 GB for 30 seconds, 60 fps). In Pr, the playback is smooth, but when I play these clips in Ae, the playback isn't real-time and it can only render a small part for real-time playback.
Should I compress/convert these individual clips to something smaller before working with them in Ae? For example (in Pr), right click a clip and choose '''render and replace'' ==> format = quicktime, but which preset? The default ''GoPro Cineform max depth'' preset? Wouldn't I lose quality that way, like a lower FPS rate?

- Preferably, I don't want to have Pr and Ae open at the same time. If I end up in Pr with a sequence of about 4 to 5 minutes, how should I edit individual clips within this sequence in Ae? Save the Pr project and open it in Ae? But then you end up with a 5 minute clip in Ae, which is undesirable.
Or should I just right click a clip within my sequence, then choose ''replace with Ae composition'' (which opens it in Ae), close Pr and continue working in Ae?
And let's say that I want to create a transition in Ae between two clips in my sequence, where the camera zooms out, and rotates to the next clip. Should I just marquee select these two clips in my sequence, right click and replace with Ae comp. Then make this transition within Ae?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Pr-Ae workflow and editing big files
by on May 25, 2016 at 3:44:32 pm

[Roy Gerbille] "In Pr, the playback is smooth, but when I play these clips in Ae, the playback isn't real-time"

There is no realtime video playback in AE. It doesn't work like a video player or an NLE. You'll need to RAM preview it.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Pr-Ae workflow and editing big files
by on May 25, 2016 at 4:22:37 pm

[Roy Gerbille] "And let's say that I want to create a transition in Ae between two clips in my sequence, where the camera zooms out, and rotates to the next clip. Should I just marquee select these two clips in my sequence, right click and replace with Ae comp. Then make this transition within Ae?"

In general, I'd encourage you to use native transitions in Pr whenever you can. If you need to make a timing adjustment to a transition, a Pr-Ae workflow would require you to re-trim the media in Pr and adjust to match in Ae (or re-send to Ae and do over again).

I think Red Giant Universe has a transition which is very similar to the one you're describing.

I'd also suggest that you look into the Render and replace workflow [link] between Ae/Pr.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Roy GerbilleRe: Pr-Ae workflow and editing big files
by on May 26, 2016 at 5:12:41 pm

So when I edit a clip in Ae and the playback of that edited clip takes too long in Pr, I just ''render and replace'' that clip, and when I'm finished editing in Pr, I use the ''Restore Unrendered'' feature to revert to the original clip and export the sequence?
I tested the render and replace feature, and the rendered file was actually bigger than the original? I just rendered an unedited Avi file to a quicktime file (using the GoPro Cineform preset).

And right clicking clips in Pr and selecting ''replace with Ae comp'' and editing the selected clips in Ae is a good Ae-Pr workflow? Or do most people edit the individual clips first in Pr, then edit them in Ae, and finally place those clips into a sequence in Pr?

When I started learning Ae, I used video clips provided by the instructor to practice. These video clips played very smoothly in my Ae timeline. I assume that's because those video clips were already compressed to smaller video files, and the Avi files I'm working with are uncompressed and have a higher frame rate?
Is is there a way (and is it worth it) to compress these big Avi video files to make the editing process in Ae more smooth?
Or should I just lower the resolution in the composition panel and work with the original video file?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]