ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

motion tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew lennoxmotion tracking
by on May 24, 2016 at 10:35:53 pm

New to AE and CC forum.

I have some archive footage that I am trying to composite with some animated backgrounds that I shot. I matted out some the characters from some archival footage and now I am trying to composite it to the background footage that i animated. the problem i am having is that the archival characters have a lot of camera shake (8mm footage), I am trying to impose a motion path on those characters to interact with the background layer that I shot but this motion path is conflicting with the original motion of the matted characters which creates a stutter effect. I am struggling to articulate my problem in an articulate way. Basically, if you can image a person walking in one direction (say, left) and the camera follows, i matte this material to remove just the character, then composite it to a background that is moving in the opposite direction (say, right) and set the character on the same motion path as the background (say, right). The result is the character and background move in the desired direction but every frame of the character path has a stutter because the original footage wants to go in the opposite direction. hope this makes sense?
in short, I am looking for a way to make the motion of the character smooth. i dont know what the possibilities are but in my head i wish i could disable the motion of the original footage and apply a motion path to direct the character wherever i want.
any suggestions greatly appreciated. again, i am new to AE so plz speak slowly. Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Ken TeutschRe: motion tracking
by on May 25, 2016 at 1:33:28 pm

Assuming I actually understand your problem (never a certainty)...

You might try using the Warp Stabilize effect on the original archival footage to see if you can lock it down enough to remove the jitter, then mask the stabilized footage. But I don't know how well this will work, since the movement is presumably caused by projection artifacts rather than actual movement of the original camera. And if it is really old, rugged footage there might even be frames missing.

Anyway, it might be a place to start.

Return to posts index

andrew lennoxRe: motion tracking
by on May 25, 2016 at 6:17:25 pm

thanks for your response ken.

i have applied the warp stabilizer but it doesn't solve the problem, although it does make things smoother initially.

the problem is the conflict between motion paths - the original footage pans right and i am trying to move the object left. this makes a stutter. it looks like the person is constantly bashing into a closed door. or homer simpson continually stepping on racks (if you know the reference?).

right now i am slowing key framing and positioning every frame to try to smooth it out. it is so painfully slow and not that effective. hoping someone knows a better solution so i dont lose my mind!

thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved