ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tough roto brush project. can I lock my roto, and adjust contrast?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Chavinsky
Tough roto brush project. can I lock my roto, and adjust contrast?
on May 22, 2016 at 9:31:16 pm

I really botched a white screen shoot, and now I've rotoscoped my client, using the roto brush, and have had to make adjustments frame by frame, to get his ear in the picture.

First question - Are there certain settings to make a difficult roto, any easier? For example, I cranked up the contrast for the rotoscope to make it catch edges easier.

2nd question - now that I've cranked the contrast, and gone frame by frame making adjustments, I want the roto mask to stay locked, so that I can revert the clip back to regular contrast. When I do this, my roto falls apart and half of him is missing...

Any suggestions on this, or how to make a difficult rotoscoping project easier would be EXTREMELY appreciated!!!

Thank You!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Tough roto brush project. can I lock my roto, and adjust contrast?
on May 23, 2016 at 1:43:12 pm

Leave the contrast cranked up. Use the layer as a matte for the original footage.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave Chavinsky
on May 29, 2016 at 12:15:09 pm

Thanks Dave,

what do you mean by use the layer as a matte for the original footage?

Do you mean, duplicate the layer first? Do I have to do something special to it, or am I just making an extra copy of the layer, and the doing a roto on the top layer? does the technique have a name, that I could google for a tutorial if its something unique?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 31, 2016 at 4:31:25 pm

Add the footage again to the comp, un-keyed. Put it on the layer below the keyed footage. You use the layer above as a track matte for the bottom layer. Don't know how? Just type the term Track Matte into AE help and you'll get all the details.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]