ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating broken-concrete kind of background

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wessel van WegenCreating broken-concrete kind of background
by on May 20, 2016 at 6:59:43 pm

Hey all!

A couple of weeks ago I was searching online for some after effects inspiration. I came across this lyrical video someone made using Paint & Stick and I think It's really really cool.
This is the video I'm talking about: (Big shoutout to the creator Frametouch, it's awesome!)

I'm trying to understand the techniques they used to make this kind of old school/retro look. I've been experimenting a lot with it, and I managed to recreate a lot of the things they did! (It's just for learning purposes, I'm not trying to recreate the video or something.

At the moment I'm experimenting with the backgrounds they used in the video, and a lot of them are recreatable using fractal noise, bumping up the contrast using levels, adding some blur, and then cranking up the contrast again with the levels effect. There is just one background that I can't get done. It appears in the video at 00:09 ( an througout the video). It looks pretty simple, and I'm guessing that it would be possible using comparable techniques as the fractal noise ones? Are there some built in effects to create this kind of cracked floor look?

Thank you so much in advance, guys! You've always helped me out with so much AE related problems!

All the best,

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Creating broken-concrete kind of background
by on May 20, 2016 at 7:18:47 pm

you might look at the cell pattern effect (there are various patterns).

you can flatten out the shaded patterns with something like the threshold effect or levels effect. find edges might even be helpful.

colorize it with something like the tint effect (tritone or colorama would work too, but tint is great for 2-tone colorizing)

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

Wessel van WegenRe: Creating broken-concrete kind of background
by on May 20, 2016 at 7:33:05 pm

Hey man!

Thank you so much! That's exactly what i was looking for! It did the trick for me!
I used in the Cell pattern effect the "Crystals HQ" pattern and cranked up the contrast. Then I used levels to gain even more contrast, and after that I added some turbulent displace to make the lines wobbly like the example. And as you said, tint worked perfectly to color the whole thing!

Thanks again man, you're awesome!

All the best,

Wessel van Wegen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved