ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Turn Newspaper into a puddle of Blood

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sam dias
Turn Newspaper into a puddle of Blood
on May 19, 2016 at 4:21:44 pm

Hi All,

I am currently working on a project and after reading the scene list there is one thing i know i am going to struggle:

My actor will be reading a newspaper and the newspaper will start turning into blood. Not sure if liquefy will do the trick, not sure if i can do that with real news paper, i am stuck, we haven't starter shooting yet, so if you have any idea how to achieve this please help!!!!

Sam

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Turn Newspaper into a puddle of Blood
on May 19, 2016 at 4:48:05 pm

You might want to talk with the director about how he envisions this looking. There are a number of ways you could make a newspaper turn to blood.

I'd recommend doing as much of it practically as you can.

My initial thoughts:
I'd make the text start turning dark red and running off the page from an overhead view. - Post effect using a practical blank newspaper with digital text motion tracked to it. (You'll want to practice this technique first.)

Cut to the reaction to the text running down (just a close up of the actor's face). Their eye line moves downward as if they're watching the blood flow down the page.

Cut to a close up shot of a blood drop coming off of the paper onto the table. (Practical effect just using fake blood and a real newspaper.)

Cut to a wider shot from the side of the character to see more coming off the page. (Practical effect using a hidden tube (through the actor's sleeve and up to the top of the paper or from above and just removed in post) to make blood pour down the paper onto the table.

Back to over the shoulder for the trickiest shot. Have blood pouring onto the paper and then gradually digitally remove the paper (and pouring blood) with a wipe to a clean plate so you just see the top disappearing and blood pouring down from the remaining top of the page.

Those are just some ideas though.

Remember, you should talk to the director first about how he pictures it happening. You might just do the text bleeding off and then the paper disappears with a big splatter of red as if it slowly started letting go of its paper nature and then exploded into blood. (I like this idea better and it'd be easier to pull off.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

sam dias
on May 19, 2016 at 5:58:32 pm

This is great advice, I have a chat with the director, see what he has in mind but you have pointed at the right direction, I was thinking about getting it done as praticly as possible, Thank you so much for your reply

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 19, 2016 at 6:11:14 pm

No problem. Keep us posted!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]