ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Soundkeys occasionally takes very long to apply

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler WilsonSoundkeys occasionally takes very long to apply
by on May 16, 2016 at 11:55:35 am

For some context I have an audio spectrum that has a bunch of soundkeys layers for the bars in the spectrum. When changing the song, each soundkey layer needs to get reapplied to update the bars to match the audio. Normally these will apply very quickly (obviously depends on how many frames/song length) but it usually takes under 15 seconds to apply each soundkey layer for a ~15,000 frame song with 60fps (4:16 song length, pretty average).

From time to time I will run into a song that will take much longer than this. I just ran a 20,000 frame song and it was taking a couple minutes to apply. Restarting AE/computer doesn't help which makes me think it's something to do with the actual audio files that take long but I unfortunately haven't kept track of which files do to even try finding a common denominator between them. I work mostly with 320kbps MP3s but there are the occasional wavs.

Is there anyone else here that uses Soundkeys for a visualizer that has this problem? Maybe it's a Soundkeys bug with certain audio codecs/containers (apologies, not sure on the correct terminology)?

Now in the grand scheme of things this time is not that significant so if it's unresolvable it's not a huge issue but it would be more convenient to have it take less time.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Soundkeys occasionally takes very long to apply
by on May 16, 2016 at 6:00:09 pm

Give yourself a better speed advantage -- don't use compressed audio like mp3. Convert them to AIFF or WAV files.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved