ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering the same project with multiple programs?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac Someah-Kwaw
Rendering the same project with multiple programs?
on May 16, 2016 at 1:05:01 am

I watched that that tuts+ video here suggesting use of multiple instances of BG render to exponentially speed up rendering times, but it doesn't seem to work as demonstrated for me. Instead, the multiple instances of BG renderer seem to slow each other down, resulting in rendering times that don't differ much from what one instance would produce.

So, in my desperation for speed, I thought of trying to run AE Render, BGrenderer, and Adobe media encoder at the same time. So far it seems to be working a little better. With BG alone, I was getting about five frames per minute. Then I launched AME, working on a different portion of the project, since it can't skip files. It's proucding 3 frames per minute, but BG slowed to about 3 frames per minute as well. Do the math and I'm barely squeezing out an extra frame per minute, so it may be ineffective.

The seemingly impressive part was when I launched the native AE renderer along side the other two. It didn't seem to slow down BG renderer much, if at all, and it renders one frame for every two frames BG produces. That could effectively cut rendering time by a third, or even more depending on how much Media Encoder is slowing down the other two.

Has anyone else given this a shot before?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Rendering the same project with multiple programs?
on May 16, 2016 at 5:46:16 pm

Nope.

When I have a time-consuming render, a single word look large in my mind: "overnight". It used to be SOP in AE's Days of Yore.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Isaac Someah-Kwaw
on May 16, 2016 at 10:40:15 pm

I just wish I could get a complete result overnight, instead of waking up to see that it's only halfway done.

Seems like the most effective thing I've figured out so far is using affinity to isolate an instance of BG render to each of my 8 cores, so they don't wrestle with each other over processing power. Was able to squeeze out 7-9 frames per minute this way, as opposed to 4-5.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 16, 2016 at 11:29:46 pm

I hope you're not using ray-tracing on this project. Adobe has given up ray-tracing for dead. They're doing nothing more with it. They're bundling C4D Lite with AE now because it's better at the same chores ray-tracing used to do, and MUCH faster.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Isaac Someah-Kwaw
on May 17, 2016 at 3:01:19 am

Yeah it's disabled. Ive also converted most of the project layers to image sequences, deleted unused effects and converted as many expressions to keyframes as I could. The original render time was cut down quite a bit, but still not yet to a point where it doesnt largely impede on my overall workflow

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on May 20, 2016 at 4:11:45 pm

after effects requires fast processor.

what is your pc specs start of with that.

plugins such as the one above is nothing but processor chocker.

i have i7 6700k
16gb ram
ssd 500gb samsung evo
ssd 250 extreme x for cache.

dont matter what video resolution i throw at it with effects it renders is fast.

also image sequence render out fast to.

check your pc specs , maybe you have low specs.
after effects works great with powerfull cpu

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on May 20, 2016 at 5:20:13 pm

try ths
http://aescripts.com/renderhogs/

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on May 20, 2016 at 5:40:53 pm

another way is.

press play button let it render all.

then go to composition/pre render , now this wil fly though the render and save as your desired output

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]