ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Need to fix a poorly lit white screen video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave ChavinskyNeed to fix a poorly lit white screen video
by on May 14, 2016 at 10:24:46 pm

Hello, I shot a white screen video that I really botched the lighting for, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it. I was using a cramped basement, and some of my lights weren't super strong:

So, I tried rotoscoping, but it takes a really long time on my laptop, and isn't very accurate. I was making changes frame by frame, but it still doesn't look good enough.

I tried the luma key, but I can't get the background gone without eliminating some of his face.

I really need your help! Thank you so much!

Also, if you have any links to a tutorial on how to do this properly, that would also be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Need to fix a poorly lit white screen video
by on May 14, 2016 at 11:07:46 pm

yea but what does the camera footage look like?

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Need to fix a poorly lit white screen video
by on May 15, 2016 at 7:06:27 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on May 15, 2016 at 7:08:44 am

That doesn't look that bad. This is how I would proceed:

1) Desaturate the background where it goes blue (adjustment layer with a soft mask) so that it separates from the blue of his shirt but doesn't affect skintones of the shirt color.

2) Do a garbage mask to get rid of most of the background.

3) Make a duplicate of the layer and use curves or levels to make the remaining whites white.

4) Try using that top layer as a luminosity layer. If that looks decent, you're done.

5) If the highlights become too blown out, duplicate the top layer again, tint it to black and white and curve it further so that if becomes a black and white matte for just the person. Use this as track matte for the middle layer. (May need to blur and spread the matte slightly to make it not chatter.)

If there is too much of a lightness difference between the top and the bottom, you can make a soft masked curve correction to lighten the bottom half to be of the same lightness as the top.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Need to fix a poorly lit white screen video
by on May 15, 2016 at 12:44:14 pm

We don't know enough about what you're trying to do so I'll guess. Just use a feathered mask around the subject and put the shot over a white solid. Use the eyedropper to pick the color.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved