ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Frame at End of Shot Glitch

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter CampbellFrame at End of Shot Glitch
by on May 12, 2016 at 8:18:52 pm

Hello everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster.

(I use After Effects CC 2014 on a PC)

I'm working on a fairly large after effects project right now, where I edited a fully green screen music video in Premiere Pro first and then imported the whole project into AE. For the most part it's been a pretty easy experience, I edit each shot individually, then precompose the several layers that make up the shot so that the main composition doesn't get too messy.

This thing keeps happening every few shots though, where even though there isn't a gap in the timeline a frame at the end of the shot or precomp will turn into an earlier layer, as if there was a frame cut off the shot and it was showing the layer underneath it. BUT, the layer it keeps showing is NOT actually beneath the shots. When I go into the precomp to see if any of the layers don't fill up the duration of it, the frame will still be visible IN the precomp, at the end. In the main composition the only way it disappears is if I drag the previous shot/precomp over the next one, which of course I can't do because it's going to start messing with the editing of the video. It's very confusing. Is this a known issue with AE? Or is mine just tripping out?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Frame at End of Shot Glitch
by on May 12, 2016 at 10:06:25 pm

What's the media container and the codec of the green screen footage? I suspect it's something with interframe compression like MP4, and it can give AE real fits on occasion. And my personal, unsubstantiated gut feeling is that Dynamic Link doesn't help matters any.

You may not like to hear it, but you may have to transcode the footage to an intermediate codec. Try it on one of the problem clips and see if it does the job.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved