ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

The background is not rendering properly!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Ammon
The background is not rendering properly!
on May 12, 2016 at 5:34:02 am

Hello all, first time poster, and somewhat new to after effects.

I am constructing an animation slideshow basically filled with screenshots and transitions for a good length of time. I have inserted a composition within my project because that composition constructs a monitor to display whatever screen shots I need to display. The reason why I mentioned inserting the composition within my project is because when I did, the 3-d rendering (camera & null object) have been acting weird along with the original background color that I had set previous to inserting the composition.

If I were to try and double click a shape for a background, I would just see the transparent squares still. Also when I am seeing the camera and null object , I am seeing diagonal lines across my screen with the null object in the middle which usually doesn't normally happen. And when I export my file so I can view it, I can't see the different views or scaling the camera does, just a regular view but I can within the project which is odd.

Well hopefully some of this made sense.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: The background is not rendering properly!
on May 12, 2016 at 4:57:57 pm

Unless something block it in the comp, an AE background is always transparent DESPITE the color you may assign to it. It's easy to check -- click on the checkerboard button at the bottom of the comp viewer window. If you see the checkerboard pattern, you've got transparency.

Those diagonal lines may be other layers in the comp, and you're looking at them through one of the other views and not the Active Camera.

But most of all, don't try to learn AE just by fooling around with it! That's a recipe for disaster! AE's just too complex to do that. Here are a couple of links designed especially for the newcomer:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/how-to/aftereffects-create-first-proj...

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron Ammon
on May 13, 2016 at 5:02:31 am

Thanks Dave I appreciate the response!

I actually was able to find out what the problem was this morning. For some reason when I imported that comp, the camera view was set to front camera, not sure why I never changed it from active. Anyways, I set it back to active and it worked fine.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 12, 2016 at 5:28:08 pm

Hey Aaron, do you think you could post a full-screen screenshot from Ae that shows the layers in the timeline and the comp viewer so we can see what you are seeing? Also a screenshot of your render? I don't quite follow all the questions you're asking.

[Aaron Ammon] "If I were to try and double click a shape for a background, I would just see the transparent squares still. "

If you want to see the comp's background color:
1) Make sure the comp viewer's transparency grid button is toggled off. It's right under the viewer and looks like a checkerboard.

2) Make sure you render to a format without alpha.

Alternately, you could make a solid that's the color you want, stick it all the way on the bottom, and keep it 2D so it doesn't react to the camera.

[Aaron Ammon] "Also when I am seeing the camera and null object , I am seeing diagonal lines across my screen with the null object in the middle which usually doesn't normally happen."

[Aaron Ammon] "And when I export my file so I can view it, I can't see the different views or scaling the camera does, just a regular view but I can within the project which is odd."

I'm not quite sure what diagonal lines you're referring to without a screenshot -- it could be a couple things. But I would bet that you are using a view other than "Active Camera." Ae only actually renders the active camera, so make sure to preview that to know what you are getting. The other views are important for understanding your 3D scene and manipulating layers in 3D space, but will never render.

Look for text under the viewer that says Front, Left, Top, Back, Right, Bottom, or Custom View, and change it to Active Camera.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]