ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Gowing Coin Stack with Element 3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary O'BrienGowing Coin Stack with Element 3D
by on May 10, 2016 at 4:32:13 pm

Hi, I have a basic 3D model of a coin, and during the course of a 2 min video, a stack of these 3D coins needs to grow in the lower right corner. I was hoping to use Element to enable a coin to drop in every now and then, or even pop up-and-out of the previous coin, but I am struggling.

The displace function doesn't seem to be much use here, as it move the whole stack of coins up and down on the y axis, no matter how "displaced" they are from one and other.

The Animation Engine just seems to scale all the remaining coins as one big group from 0% up to 100%.

I am using the latest version of AFX and Element.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Gowing Coin Stack with Element 3D
by on May 10, 2016 at 4:42:22 pm

If your stack is a short one (10 coins at most), i'd create a coin for each group and animate with nulls. You can keep stacking E3d instances to use more than 5 groups. But it becomes cumbersome later on.

For more than that I'd create the animation in C4D and export a sequence and just use Element3d as the renderer (as I do most of the times).

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Gary O'BrienRe: Gowing Coin Stack with Element 3D
by on May 10, 2016 at 4:54:22 pm

Thanks!

Yeah, I'll make do that way for now. I guess a few copies of Element won't be so bad in one comp, as long as it doesn't get too cumbersome as you say.

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Gowing Coin Stack with Element 3D
by on May 11, 2016 at 4:52:49 pm

You can definitely do this with the animation engine. Watch some tutorials on how to use it because its a little tricky to use. Basically you first need to make a version of all your coins stacked (i.e. your end state), then copy it into another group. Displace and potentially scatter your second group (your initial state) off. You want your animation type to be directional, and you want to make sure to align the direction along the same axis as your stack of coins.

Good luck!

-Matt

Check out 9 Slice Scale.
A way to scale graphics while preserving the border and corners.
An FxFactory Plugin for AE, Premiere, Motion and FCP.
http://monadnock.org/9slice/

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Gowing Coin Stack with Element 3D
by on May 11, 2016 at 6:12:02 pm

As described above:

10078_droppingcoins.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Gary O'BrienRe: Gowing Coin Stack with Element 3D
by on May 11, 2016 at 7:03:32 pm

That's great mate! Thanks a million :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>